HD Broadcasting

Even though WIN News might have HD-capable equipment, it’s quite possible that the link(s) from the studio to MediaHub are still SD-only for technical reasons!

Which is poor foresight considering MediaHub is a relatively new playout centre. It opened around the 2010 mark didn’t it?

Some articles on that Decider TV site have been not true eg the launch of 7HD but this one seems legit.

Does this mean on July1 we could see Nine HD and Life with no interruption as well as Ten HD in regional areas ?

Until Southern Cross or WIN say something we don’t really know

3 Likes

didn’t WIN say they will simulcast Ten metro in HD

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Digital TV Technical Discussion

TEN HD

Regional ONE “HD”

These changes to SC10 can’t come soon enough.

4 Likes

We’re approaching the end of June. Any word on ABC HD?

it was pushed back because of all the other changes happening to WIN and SCA etc

1 Like

I wonder if those changes have caused a delay in 7 HD as well ?

in metro areas, regional Queensland and Prime7 areas: no (as Seven and Prime have their own playout)
in areas where WIN manages the Seven feed (SE/Riverland SA, Griffith): yes.

Although it’s to my understanding that Seven Queensland currently doesn’t transmit 7mate (SD MPEG2) and 7mateHD* (MPEG4), instead continuing to broadcast 7mate in MPEG2 HD.

*Remember, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth currently receive 7mateHD (rather than 7HD which Melbourne and Adelaide get) as their MPEG4 channel because of AFL coverage. Perhaps this situation might change in the future, but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we see the ABC launch their main channel in HD nationwide before Seven finally decide to ditch the current two tier system for HD channels!

2 Likes

no necessarily. The delay with the ABC is because to the providers of the equipment required to increase playout capacity and HD encoders in had to divert their resources to SCA who presumably were happy to pay a premium to get their order expedited.
This have also impacted Seven and Prime as they both need to increase their playout capacity in order to deliver a complete 7HD (and also 7flix in the case of Prime).

1 Like

That’s correct!

1 Like

Which government is to blame for HD not being on the main channel until now ?

So basically come this weekend both Nine and Ten in HD avail nationwide (well, 90% of the population) and Seven HD still just in 2 cities

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

If Southern Cross can get equipment ready so people don’t miss out on 9HD when the new program agreements start I wonder what Is stopping Prime from going HD.

Basically, the Howard government.

We can even blame them for the zero percent of HD currently coming out of ABC and SC10 (at least until tonight in some areas).

3 Likes

“Recognising how much our viewers value the quality of high definition, our technical staff have been working tirelessly to get HD to air as ­quickly as possible.”

Southern Cross didn’t seem to recognise this when they were still affiliated with Ten. It makes you wonder how long regional viewers would’ve been waiting for Ten HD if this change was’t happening. I’d say they’re worried about negative viewer reaction if the new deal kicked in and viewers saw it as a backwards step because they were no longer able to watch football in HD.

5 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see what Seven does when the Olympics arrive. Maybe that will be the time they start showing the main channel in HD in all cities, and quietly drop 7 Mate in HD in Syd/Bne/Per. We can only hope.

There’s no promotion of 7 HD in Melbourne yet, or any logo saying 7HD. So perhaps that will be the start of five cities HD on the primary channel