HD Broadcasting

It’d be nice to get 1080p streams of on demand content…

7 Likes

SBS Worldwatch should have a higher resolution, given most of the bulletins provided by overseas broadcasters are produced in HD.

2 Likes

At what cost though? The content is 95% non-English news bulletins.

3 Likes

They maybe produced in HD, but does SBS also receive them in HD? A lot of international broadcasters don’t have HD feeds that cover Australia.

3 Likes

A lot of feeds are coming through the internet now rather than satellite (will be more the case when Optus D2 retires next March) even from overseas, so it’s possible they could have HD feeds available, they’re just not outputting in HD.

3 Likes

Big news on the HD front. Thanks to BJT2 for the tip.

7 Likes

Fantastic news. Hopefully this could mean some changes on FTA soon.

3 Likes

Checking out 9’s multiplex tonight for SOO and they are running 9HD at a much higher bitrate that usual, using 5.5 Mb/s The SD channel is also comparatively high at 3.3 (video + audio). 9Gem HD is 3.4 while everything else is below 2 or lower.

4 Likes

Is anyone able to confirm for me if it’s correct the SD version of 7Two broadcast via 7Queensland has now been removed?

2 Likes

There is a static slide on 72

Program is only on LCN 73

6 Likes

Thanks, much appreciated. I’ve started receiving emails from confused viewers…

5 Likes

Great to see 7, 7TWO and 7mate in HD only in Queensland. I hope 7flix is next to be changed HD only. 7QLD and SBS are the most advanced with HD channels in Australia.

6 Likes

Note that slide is from the Sunshine Coast where Seven’s LCNs all start with 6. As opposed to most of Queensland where it is 72 and 73.

5 Likes

Yes I noticed the HD channels when in Bundaberg recently.

1 Like

Is 7flix in MPEG-2 in regional Queensland like metro areas?

1 Like

Never thought I’d see the day. No SD simulcasts makes for a nice clean lineup :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

Still worth noting that the main channel is not full HD but 1440 x 1080i

2 Likes

I did notice that it starts to look a bit shit under pressure. But at least it looks decent most of the time and that Seven has actually done something with the resolution to compensate. Like Nine with their SD channels.

If only the WA broadcasters took a leaf out of Seven’s book and tweaked their equipment so it was on par with everywhere else.

1 Like

When are we likely see 7Twohd across the network

2 Likes