HD Broadcasting

Are they broadcasting in constant or variable bit rate? I thought it was the latter, in which they’d need to have null packets—something not being taken into account with these suggestions. They won’t want to overflow their mux.

Variable I believe.
I’m using the figures they’re currently outputting to look at other scenarios… so they’d still have the same amount of null packets as currently.

2 Likes

Those are the peak values and not the averages, right?

AFAIK the bitrates (per second) are the average recorded over a period of time. The rates vary across the LCNs depending on content but always add to the multiplex maximum. So if 9HD needs some more bits, it gets them from another channel. As well as varying from minute to minute , the average will vary across the day depending on content; so fast moving sport will drag bits to that station while perhaps a cartoon or programs without much action will have a lower need.

2 Likes

Yes, I know that. I was aking because 8mbps on average sounds pretty high, when compared to metro 9HD. Wich apperently averages 3mbps.

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=CHANNEL-9&liste=1&live=36&lang=en

I can confirm that WIN HD has on some occasions averaged up to 8 (vision + audio) as measured during NRL on the first night:

No, averages.
As @TV.Cynic has linked above, and my own testing a few nights ago, WIN have been allocating an average of around 8 Mbps to 9HD at times, which, yes, is very high for MPEG-4, and I feel could be better allocated to allow 9Gem HD to fit in as well.

2 Likes

Hope the picture quality is amongst the best in the country with those numbers.

Watching the NRL on Win since the swap the picture quality is not as good as when it was on SCA. You can see a lot of blur on the grass when the picture moves.
Fox league simulcast much better which is no surprise.

2 Likes

I disagree, the quality on WIN, at least on my TV is absolutely amazing. I’ve never been a fan of WIN and don’t usually like to praise anything they do, but credit where it’s due, their feed of 9HD is certainly the best picture quality of any of the FTA channels I can pickup in Canberra.

I can’t attest to the rest of the country, but it is definitely excellent quality

5 Likes

9HD here is also of superb quality.

4 Likes

I note 7MateHD finally on foxtel now box. I still don’t understand why it takes so long for these channels to come on given there is an aerial used to have these through the device. Still no sign of 9Rush or 10Shake.

And given 10 moving into being the home of football they’ll need to get 10Bold into HD ASAP.

9 Likes

Good pickup re 7mate HD, I’ve got in on my IQ3 on ch257

4 Likes

Same here now on IQ4!

When did this happen?

1 Like

No idea! I wonder if 7 stumped up the cash to Foxtel to pay for retransmission given the Olympics.
Also notice it has a proper logo in the search, not like 9GemHD had for months

4 Likes

Is it over satellite or is it coming in via the terrestrial antenna on your IQ4? This has always been the frustrating thing with the Foxtel IQ and the Foxtel Now box not having all the terrestrial channels available via your own antenna.

3 Likes

I’m IQ3, so via cable

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s over terrestrial antenna. Foxtel just has to allocate a number. Something that could have been done ages ago.

4 Likes

For a price.

1 Like

Foxtel channels are all 100+. It’d be nice if the IQ4 just automatically put all the terrestrial antenna channels into their usual LCNs below 100. Just let the IQ4 do a scan and add all channels like any other TV or STB would do, shopping channels and duplicates included.

Becomes an issue for the ABC/SBS radio channels in the 2xx/3xx range though. :thinking:

The other thing that annoys me with the IQ4 is that you select the option in the channel menu for “Channels 9, 7, 10, ABC, SBS” and it only includes the standard def primary channels. Why not include all FTA multi-channels and the HD channels as well. I watch in regional so it might be different in metro though, and different again on cable.

6 Likes