Great songs heard on radio

Dial surfing tonight:

Goody Two Shoes- ADAM ANT (2UUS) (!)
Take The L- THE MOTELS (2GGO)
Counting Blue Cars- DISHWALLA (2MMM)
People Everyday- ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (2WIN)
It’s Only Natural- CROWDED HOUSE (2WSK).
Boom Boom Boom- OUTHERE BROS (2GOS). (The pinnacle of mid 90s “basketball rap”, guilty pleasure).

I’d still like to have that Rebellious streak on the dial down here, though. We’re getting Brisbane’s weather now, so why not?

I did hear that Motels song on a Breeze around here the other day, I had meant to post it but forgot. I also used to love that Dishwalla song, another of those good 90s alt-rock songs that was pretty big at the time but is seldom heard anywhere now.

Speaking of, should probably list a couple more heard over the past couple of days while I think of them:
Crowded House - Sister Madly (Gold FM)
Pseudo Echo - Love an Adventure (Gold again)
Spiderbait - Buy Me a Pony (Rebel)

whilst we’re doing silly buggers with call signs, that was on 2KKO last night too :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s because 2GGO & 2KKO was carrying the same programming on Saturday nights along with the rest of the SCA LocalWorks network, which is “Saturday Night Party Shuffle”. That’s unless a Swans match is held on a Saturday night, in which 2GGO takes it.

That was also played on 2UUS on Friday evening at around 5:30pm as part of their “80 Hours of the 80s” that they’re doing over the Queen’s Birthday long weekend. Approx 15 mins before that, they’ve also played “My Old Piano” by Diana Ross.

KO’s been running their own now for a couple of years, good to see the rest of them finally come on board.

1 Like

I can’t say for certain on whether KO is now taking the network log instead of its own on Saturday nights, as I wasn’t listening to either stations (one of them would have to be via online streaming) last night. I was only going by my assumption, considering that it’s been reported that “Take the L” by The Motels was played on both 2GO & KO last night.

KO has run its own Saturday Night Party Shuffle for a few years, 2GO used to have different programming - perhaps they’re on the Newcastle log or perhaps Newcastle has farmed it back out to the Gold Coast - no idea. I do know the Newcastle log is available to any station which wants it.

(just quietly it shits all over Gold FM’s log) :smiley:

1 Like

Life Gets Better / Graham Parker today on 4KQ.
Haven’t heard that song in 20 years I reckon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile, down in Sydney, some of today’s highlights on WS’s “80 Hours of the 80s”:

“Heartache All Over the World” Elton John
"Undercover of the Night" Rolling Stones
"Welcome to the Boom Town" David & David
"E=MC2" Big Audio Dyanmite
"Lady (You Bring Me Up)" Commodores

2 Likes

I heard “Welcone to the Boom Town”,on River last week ,great song👍

1 Like

Today on River 94.9 “Wayback Wednesday"
Divinyls “Back to the Wall” 1995?,this is a great track from them,deserves more Airplay
Nick Lowe,“Cruel to be Kind” 1979
Toni Child’s 'Don’t Walk Away” 1988
LRB, “Reminiscing” 1978
Big Pig,"Breakaway"1988

2 Likes

Yeah, I love that Divinyls number. I do recall K-Rock giving that a good run back in the 90s (possibly to honour one of Geelong’s prouder exports in Chrissy), but sadly a bit forgotten now

ABC - When Smokey Sings

Just played on WSFM’s “80 Minutes Of The 80s”.

Makes a nice change from hearing “The Look Of Love”.

1 Like

Another ‘unflogged’ song by ABC that would be good to hear on radio every once in a while is “All Of My Heart”, which I’ve heard it being played on Smooth before.

Plenty of opportunities to drag that one out this past Autumn, on account of the intensive hazard reduction burning!***

This is yet another example of WS FM having the ability to surprise when it feels the need. The demands of the Sydney ratings rat race, however, call for bland mediocrity, at least 95% of the time.

***Ed: Stole this one from a contributor on another forum. I was taken aback at the mention of the song!

12 inch version of “Some Like It Hot” - Power Station

On WSFM right now.

They do pull out some real gems at times.
I just love the old 12 inch mixes.

2 Likes

No More Lonely Nights - Paul McCartney

Right now on WSFM

I haven’t heard that on commercial radio since
… well, 1984!

1 Like

Londonbeat - Come Back playing now on Star 104.5 :ok_hand:

1 Like

The Heart Of Rock & Roll - Huey Lewis & The News

On “The Greatest Years In Music” program.

Haven’t heard that on commercial radio for a long time!

“Poison” by Alice Cooper was played on 96.5 Wave FM during their “Flashback Hour” at 12.30pm today.

One of the few songs from the 80’s which I really like. It’s a shame that the Illawarra FM stations don’t play it too often.

1 Like