Great songs heard on radio

It reached #37 on the Australian singles charts in 1988. In fact, it was a sequel to their 1986 hit “Your Wildest Dreams”, which was a bigger hit, in which it reached #20.

http://www.chartbeats.com.au/2013/09/25-years-ago-this-week-september-18-1988.html

2 Likes

We Are Glass- GARY NUMAN

XLFM now. Pulling out the rarities on a Saturday night again. Loving the fact XL gets in to Bungendore loud and clear.

6 Likes

Obviously it’s a better option than listening to 2GN on AM, at least before that eventually converts to FM as well. :slight_smile:

You have a decent selection of adult music commercial stations available there, in which you also have 2CA available on both AM & DAB+. In a way, it’s better than what Sydney gets (DAB-only stations excluded).

2 Likes

Glad you enjoy it Laoma. And yes A80s will be continuing regardless of any “covid shutdown”.

2 Likes

How Come - The Sports

Played on the 2SM Super Radio Network just after the 2pm news this afternoon during “Straight Talk” with Poppy.

4 Likes

Looking at the chart an interesting song was Strokin’ by Clarence Carter, I had not heard for years. I wonder if the song was played much on radio given the lyrics or more correctly the topic being more explicit.
I was a fan of listening to the top 40 around that time. The Olivia Newton John song I don’t think I have heard before, The rumour. Definitely a lost track from years gone by.

Good to hear the Awesome 80s will press on, @matt86 . Especially no footy for potentially months to come.

I hope iheartradio (like they have with American top 40) could revive Tape 40 Australia shows of the 80s & 90s. Not sure if Tape 40 Australia was on air in the 70s.

Edit this answered my question

Wonder what was on the radio before that.

4 Likes

Blur, “Country House” on Triple M Brisbane this morning ,part of the 'Classic 9 at 9, 1995 today :grinning:Would rather hear this one instead of the overflogged ‘Song 2’

6 Likes

The Darkness - One Way Ticket, Rebel FM this morning

From their less successful second album, back around 2006 or so? And I don’t reckon I’ve heard it played on the radio since it came out then. Still an enjoyable track though

4 Likes

Charmless Man is another one of their songs you never hear now.

2 Likes

This is a DX song for me as I heard it on The Rock via Es at the time of release. The Darkness were all the rage in 2003-04.

2 Likes

For me, another (now somewhat distant) memory from the once-great rock station I grew up with in Geelong…

The Darkness were one of a few guitar rock bands of the 2000s that seemed to enjoy throwing their musical style back to a bygone era, and ‘Permission to Land’ was a fantastic album from the time (for mine ‘Love Is Only A Feeling’ was their best track). Now you’d be pretty hard-pressed to hear them aside from the occasional play of ‘I Believe In A Thing Called Love’ on radio.

2 Likes

Yes they were obviously aping Queen but they did it well. Same with Spacehog’s ‘In The Meantime’- a track I never get sick of hearing.

3 Likes

Another great track, 3MMM used to play that every now and then but I can’t say I’ve heard it much in recent times

1 Like

According to Lava, it’s been played quite a lot on The Rock & Radio Hauraki in NZ over the last couple of weeks. 4MMM played it after 9am yesterday morning (1st April), whilst 2MMM played it last Wednesday (25th March) just before 4pm.

4 Likes

Janis Joplin - Piece of my Heart on Rebel, God bless them!

7 Likes

Out Of My Head- FASTBALL

Forever Jurassic XLFM now. You rarely hear anything other than ‘The Way’ from Fastball.

6 Likes

You’re An Ocean was their best IMO

3 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

I preferred “Fire Escape” to both.

I still recall hearing that one on the good old ROX FM from up your way in the late 90s.

1 Like

I sorta kinda miss ROX.

2RE used to be a good listen back in the 90s too. 2MC same old same old.

3 Likes