Grand Final Ratings

AFL Grand Final

Saturday afternoon’s AFL grand final had the highest metropolitan (5-cities) audience since 2006. averaging 3.039 million. The combined metro and regional average for the game was 4.089 million. The presentations that followed drew an audience of 3,120,000 metro and 4,110,000 including regionals.

Other 2016 Gran Final day metropolitan ratings were
GAME DAY 300,000
PREVIEW 484,000
PRE-MATCH ENTERTAINMENT 1,094,000
ON THE GROUND 2,132,000
POST MATCH 856,000

NRL Grand Final

Unofficial ratings for the NRL Grand Final released by Channel Nine show that a record city audience of 2.647 million tuned in to see the Cronulla Sharks victory while the combined metro-regional audience was 3.733 million.

Time adjusted numbers for NRL:

RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL 2,647,000
RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL ENTERTAINMENT 1,473,000
RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL PRESENTATION 1,238,000
RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL 1ST DIVISION 347,000

2 Likes

3m for a 2.5hr+ footy game is ridiculous.

Taking the peak into account, it means about 19 million people in Australia were not watching.

A lot of your 19 million could still have been watching if 3 million is only 5-city metro? Add to that number regional markets (which adds another million to that number) plus also consider that ratings really only account for normal household viewing they don’t measure viewing in public places, parties, etc. of which there would be plenty.

No idea how much this could add to the reported number but it does mean that ratings numbers do not always bring us the full picture.

1 Like

isn’t there ratings for the NRL on the Sunday’s ratings topic? Ie - the pre-match Entertainment and post match segments? Also listed is the reserve grade match that was played in the afternoon (and the under 20’s match figures that’s listed on twitter)?

Exactly - compared to ratings big sports events get in other countries, that’s nothing.

Yes there are preliminary numbers from OzTAM but Nine says that the game’s numbers were different to those, so the other codings will probably change as well.

thought so. Thanks for clarifying it

To be honest, I thought the NRL GF ratings were a bit disappointing.

Probably didn’t help that it didn’t feature at least one Sydney “powerhouse” team (the Sharks would have one of the smaller supporter bases around, though they all seemed to come out of the woodwork since the Cowboys game!). But you could probably say the same about the Bulldogs in the AFL too?

I thought Melbourne would have done better than 600k (I remember they got 900k back in 2006 for the GF between Storm and Broncos).

I suppose the figure of just over 1 mil for Sydney isn’t bad, but pales against 1.4 mil for AFL in Melbourne, which is even more remarkable given its a daytime event.

I wonder how much more of an improvement AFL GF ratings would get if it was held at night?

1 Like

My gut feeling is with the NRL it is less of an event.

AFL fans will largely watch whether their team is in the final or not (helped by the mad fanaticism in Melbourne about it), while NRL fans are less likely to switch on if they don’t have a vested interest.

1 Like

Not surprising really considering there wasn’t a Queensland team playing.

1 Like