Getting into the Media Field

Hey!
A bit of a different post compared to my usual ones.
I’ll give you some context.
I live in the Darling Downs region of Queensland Australia (Toowoomba) and I am hoping to get my ‘foot in the door’ with a potential internship with the ABC, etc.
I am prepared to study and do whatever it takes to get my skills up, etc.
I was wondering what courses there may be at university/TAFE/etc for this profession? I don’t have great insight into the steps to getting where I want to achieve so I was hoping you guys might be able to lead me in the right direction.

Thanks!

2 Likes

This may not be directly what you’re looking at, but when I got a job at SCA back in 2018 the way I did that was simply sending an email to their general ‘contact us’ email address on their corporate website with my resume, saying that I was based in Canberra and interested in any available positions

Not long after that I got a call from the manager of the Canberra office and got an interview as a traffic schedules coordinator (I had literally zero prior experience, previously my main job was at a supermarket and as a trumpet teacher).

I understand that I was quite lucky and it’s a long shot, but don’t discount doing things like that (it worked for me)

5 Likes

Where did that lead you? What do you do now?

1 Like

I was able to leverage my experience at SCA to enter the public service (which, here in Canberra, is the main employer) and doing something entirely different

A not insignificant number of people I either worked with or interviewed for in the APS were former WIN/Prime/ARN employees so it’s not as far-fetched as it sounds

5 Likes

To answer your question about study, I knew someone who completed (what was at the time called) a Bachelor of Professional Music Practice and was able to use that to get an internship at the ABC (which led to a full time job)

Perhaps that specific degree may not be the path for you but it’s a benchmark to consider in terms of pathways

2 Likes

Send me a message mate (Local News Job on offer Moree NSW)

2 Likes

Last year, I was in my final year of my BCI Film and Television degree, during which I did an Internship with a Community Television station to notch up some hours and experience within the industry.

For me personally, I found the lack of organisation quite poor, and the tasks they gave me to do rather boring which resulted in me not enjoying myself, however I did gain some good insight and understanding to how TV content is made, distributed and broadcast across large platforms. I also found that doing this Internship was a good look on my Resume for my new job as a train driver, so I’m glad I got something out of it.

My advice is to network yourself, get your name known in a positive way, show some serious dedication, passion and work ethic and you’ll go places in this industry, it’s a great look for those who come into the sector as someone who’s willing to give 110%, but also to take on the advice of those who are more experienced because they’ve been where you have been.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the offer man but Moree is a tad bit too far to travel, however I’ll keep it in mind

1 Like

Damn thanks for letting me know I really appreciate you giving us your input

1 Like

Yeah I’m thinking of doing a Bachelor of Communications and Media (Journalism) to get some qualifications. And doing some side jobs like community news volunteering in my spare time (I think theres like local TV news stations like community television?) to get my experience and name out there in the meantime.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be on actual TV but online there would be.

Definitely the best route if you want to do journalism.