General TV History

Fun fact: in 1988, Seven aired two episodes of the Britcom It Ain’t Half Hot Mum which were taped to VHS by a fan of the show. Since the BBC wiped their master tapes of the episodes, the fan recordings are now the only surviving recordings of the episodes.

However, Seven too edited the episodes to 22 minutes to fit ads in, so while the Seven edits survive, the full, original episodes are lost.

Just curious, when exactly did Nine introduce their dotty logo, 1964 or 1970?

If I remember correctly, National Nine News in Adelaide started losing in the mid to late 1990’s however were still winning Sunday night’s up until Graeme Goodings moved from weekdays to weekends

Depending on which city, but Sydney and Melbourne were 1970. Brisbane and Adelaide were later, and Perth wasn’t until late in the 70s.

1 Like

other points of note:

• ABC had its first attempt of breakfast TV news “First Edition” at 7am, sandwiched between Open Learning (the forerunner of Open universities) programming. They also had “The Bottom Line” a business news programme Saturday mornings at 8am.
  • ABC had Stampede, a country music video programme Friday nights at 6pm. I remember it rated asterisks in most metro markets, but would have more viewers in country areas. It was axed by years end.
  • Live and Sweaty with Elle McFeast and Debbie Spillane on the ABC, now that was a great show! Always a Friday night favourite in our house.
  • No AFL Friday night football on Prime.
  • US Open Golf on Nine/WIN. Nowadays Fox Sports has this exclusively.
  • Ten had Ren and Stimpy on Saturday mornings at 8.30am. SCN/Ten Victoria did not air it, instead opting for Chris Conroy’s World of Boats. Used to infuriate me when I came to visit my parents in the country for the weekend, I always set the VCR taped it before I left Melbourne. Shows that Regional Victoria is a very conservative place, they won’t stand for cutting edge cartoons like Ren and Stimpy!
  • Prime also had a country music video show on Saturday afternoons at 5.30pm (it never aired on Seven in metro markets), while WIN had “It’s Country Today” on Sunday aftenroons.

Do we know the circumstances as to why Seven started winning in Adelaide from 2000 when NNN had two of the best readers in Adelaide in Kevin Crease and Rob Kelvin.

As a kid I hated Chris Conroy’s World of Boats

Interesting clip I found. The NBC Today guide contains the 1999-2004 Seven (Nightly) News theme. This was recorded over a year after the theme change to that of the 2004-2016 theme.

4 Likes

who was Chris Conroy and who cared about his boats, anyway?

hosted by Bruce Samazan if I recall correctly

[quote=“TheHomeOfMusic, post:1948, topic:137”]
ABC had Stampede, a country music video programme Friday nights at 6pm. I remember it rated asterisks in most metro markets
[/quote] So tied with Seven News Melbourne post Mal Walden then :slight_smile:

An example of Ten’s promos for their British sitcoms (plus others from 1995)

3 Likes

Healthy Wealthy & Wise was Tens equivalent to Getaway and The Great Out Doors. All three were popular in the 1990s

Came across this promo from 1997…

What was the “Jobs for Australia” event? Was it successful?

1 Like

Chris Conroy was a Gold Coast celebrity, he used to have a self-produced TV show where he reviewed various boats. It ran for over 20 years. He passed away 21st January 2016 aged 76.
Clip courtesy of Youtuber myboatingshop

2 Likes

That Simpsons season 5/Nanny Wednesday lineup… :heart_eyes:

It was a god awful ‘special event’. Sort of like a telethon. It was a political deal done by Packer, to what end I’m not sure, but it was done at a time when unemployment was high. They had special packages recorded in remote towns without a doctor “desperate” for a city doctor to move there. There were local “windows” throughout the programme where billboards of jobs were presented. WIN TV Canberra participated and Peter Leonard read out the local bus driver jobs and notices about apprenticeships.

Update:
Having thought about the timing, it was probably something to do with pay TV, which had just arrived in Australia. I imagine Packer wanted to protect his cricket TV rights or something, so promised Little Johnny that he’d do a jobs special in exchange.

1 Like

It must have been later than that, I was in hospital in 1996 and watched Seven on Prime overnight when I couldn’t sleep. They mainly played US sitcoms between 4am and 6am.

I think 1995 was when they replaced Sevens late night schedule with straight TV shopping.

I remember holidaying on the south coast in January 1997 and being really annoyed that I couldn’t see Matt Lauer’s first official day as co-host of NBC Today. Prime had aired Bryant Gumbel’s farewell show in the early hours of January 4, 1997. I still have the tape with the Prime watermark in the top right corner. It was after that date that Prime started running the all night home shopping programming. I believe they started with a simulcast of TVSN.

2 Likes

Sorry if I sound stupid, but when did Australia start using the autocue for news? I remember a promo from the 1980s from ATV-10 in Melbourne which showed that they only used regular cameras without the autocue. Happy to be corrected on this.

2 Likes

Can’t answer your question but those cameras both clearly have autocues on them (the grey box above the lens and the two angled panels on the front of the cameras).