General TV History

Geez mate, spoiler alert…

4 Likes

TV Week’s reporting on the first episode of Prisoner in 1979…

… and the last episode in 1986…

6 Likes

Managed to find a copy of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire DVD game at Vinnies for $1.

Here’s the intro:

For the record the DVD was released in 2004.

6 Likes

Oh wow, it was only last week, I was looking through my DVDs and saw that I had a copy, never knew i had it

The first ABC News Bulletin of the 21st Century aired from Melbourne at 7.00pm on 1.1.00

2 Likes

How good is that theme song?

3 Likes

Wow great theme song, heck even the on-screen graphics are better them todays!

That ABC theme was getting pretty old by 2000.

1986:

2 Likes

WIN coverup on Nine Perth during Today.

1 Like

Dank times ahead if the ABC make the pendulum remix their official news theme in the upcoming relaunch

2 Likes

I’d like to see a Pendulum remix of the Majestic Fanfare

Those old ABC News graphics and theme music* were good for back in their day, but in 2016 going on 2017? Eww, I think I’d prefer something a bit more contemporary.

*Yes, I’m well aware of the article from a while back about talk of possibly using a remix of the 1986-05 theme music with the next relaunch. If a revived and modernised version of that old theme was actually to be used, I’m sure (or at least hope) the ABC would be smart enough to give it a serious/neutral sound for the news.

It would probably work OK as a Triple J news theme if they wanted to change that but replacing Majestic Fanfare and the current ABC News on TV theme with Pendulum’s remix? I think even the ABC know that it just wouldn’t work.

Although personally, I find the Tom Budin remix of the current NBN News theme funnier! :smiley:

4 Likes

The famous WIN ice cube.

2 Likes

Funny that the ‘WIN’ was in an ice cube. After all, they are cold-hearted. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope Flemishdog doesn’t mind, but I extracted this out of a GWN closedown video he uploaded. This is a rare ident from the package prior to “We’re bringing it home to you”. It ran from 1992 to 1995. It’s pretty ugly by early 90s standards but iconic as it was the last time the oval shaped logo was used on air.

It brings back some great memories for me.

6 Likes

This Seven blooper tape from 1988 (uploaded by Barry Ryder) is certainly a reflection of the time. The humour, not to mention the fashion, just wouldn’t be permissible in these more enlightened times.

Of particular interest to me was the rehearsal Ann Sanders and Richard Zachariah were doing for Seven’s massively revamped news that would debut four days later. Ann is so associated with Seven now but it was funny to see her sign off with “Eyewitness News” given she was fresh from Ten and in her first days at a new network. The pair seemed to have an interesting dynamic in the clip that I don’t recall translating to the live bulletins I watched at the time.

A very fresh faced Sandra Sully also makes an appearance during the Brisbane segment choking on “Twisted Dick”.

3 Likes

Came across this today -

2 Likes

9 WWOS World Cup opener from 1999:

4 Likes

And here’s a Totally Wild opener from 1994.

3 Likes

From the days when regional TV really was regional. Here’s an intro from a kids show called ACE on WIN4 circa early 1980s.

No idea who the host or her offsider are… although kudos for her '80s hair and make up!

And to be honest I’d never even heard of the cartoon Snuffy Smith And Barney Google

And did WIN4 not have the most insipid station branding? The station would have been rolling in cash and looks like very little was spent on presentation. I guess not much has changed?

YouTube: oldtvhistory

3 Likes