General TV History

Ron Wilson reads the “Ten Morning Edition News” in 1991. The “late” news at that time was titled “Ten Second Edition News”.

4 Likes

Not to be read of course as “10-second edition news”. At the time I’d say couldn’t they make it longer? :wink:

1 Like

Yes, an unusual name.

8 Likes

This is the Second Edition News from the same day as the above Morning News

3 Likes

For me, Anne Fulwood’s late news was the perfect news bulletin with the perfect reader. It was polished, beautifully curated and high impact. Of course Sandra continued the tradition to great success but I’ll always have a soft spot for this version.

Sorry, I’ve re-read my sources (and others) and I misunderstood both the timeline and also misread it slightly. My apologies…

Apparently the bit that related to was in relation to how Skase purchased Seven Adelaide and Perth from Robert Holmes a Court in early 1988 (so it was post-affiliation swap, hence SAS 7, and a little bit after HWT had departed) but did so through a shelf company in order to allegedly circumvent the then 60% reach rule - the five metro stations were about 67% of the population by 1989. Looked like Skase took the Broadcasting Tribunal to the Federal Court over their decision to declare him unfit for those two licences, or something along those lines.

How did that get resolved? Did Skase get to hold on to SAS and TVW? I can’t recall what happened to those channels.

I think that the last time this came up for discussion, the newspaper articles and other information I read online seemed to indicate that the rules had changed before Skase had to offload the stations. So they remained with Skase as part of the network, and obviously changed hands as an entire network when Skase went bust.

At one stage when there was talk of SAS 7 needing to be sold, Alan Scott (owner of South East Telecasters - SES 8 and RTS 5A) was interested. He had investments in Adelaide radio at this stage.

Sorry I missed this post @tamago_otoko :slight_smile:

The aggregation procedures were intertwined with the reach rule change (first to 60% it seems, before going to the full 75%) - so the share price rises, at least until the 1987 crash at least, would’ve related to both.

And that’s simply because the policies of both would’ve made the regional TV services more attractive takeover targets - both to themselves (TWT nibbling at stations, or Ramcorp, or Parry to an extent), and to the major networks or major network aspirants at the time (such as Qintex or Northern Star or Bond). Speculation of being a takeover target is generally going to push your stock price higher, because the expectation is that any takeover in a good market is going to have to be at a premium, so the market will start pricing some of that in.

60 years ago today, 17 November, GTV9 went to the races for a one-hour test transmission live from Flemington Racecourse:

HSV7’s program that night:

6pm Peter’s Fun Fair with Zig and Zag
6.30 Hopalong Cassidy
7pm News (Danny Webb) and Weather (Brenda Marshall)
7.15 Kiernan’s Kaleidoscope
7.30 Grantland Rice
7.45 Sports Thrills
8pm The Scarlet Pimpernel
8.30 Racket Squad
9pm Wedding Day (a Crawford Production)
9.30 News (Danny Webb) and Weather (Brenda Marshall)

ABV2 is still 2 days away from launching.

Source: The Listener In-TV

3 Likes

Local news at 7 & 9.30… hmm

only 15 minute bulletins and probably very light on for filmed stories. I imagine mostly just Dan Webb reading news headlines probably ripped from the pages of The Herald :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember Nine in Sydney trialled a 9:30pm news with Brian Henderson over the summer off-ratings for a couple of years (probably in the 1980s??), but it didn’t last. I also recall Mike Willesse doing a 9:30pm current affairs show on Nine followed by Bert Newton at 10:00pm Monday to Thursday. Bert’s show got the chop but Willesse was a success and Nine moved it 6:30pm the next year iirc, but can’t remember what year that was!

1 Like

Willesee at 9.30 and Tonight With Bert Newton at 10.00 ran Monday to Thursday nights in 1984. They both replaced The Don Lane Show which had ended in November 1983.

Bert’s show never really took off and the 10.00 timeslot probably didn’t help. (And Nine let Bert go a few months later)

As littlegezzybear said the Willesee program moved to 6.30pm the following year and basically became what is now A Current Affair a few years later.

Melbourne channels also trialled various mid-evening news bulletins over summer in the 1970s and early 1980s. None of them really seemed to eventuate into anything and I guess they were too nervous about taking viewers away from their chief news bulletins in the early evening once the summer was over.

2 Likes

Probably for special next Wednesday night 10 to 1: Countdown Our Greatest News Events.

Good call

With all the recent technical problems with news recently, it reminded me of November 2011 when the Saturday edition of Weekend Sunrise did not make it to air. The computer system (and backup) controlling playout of stories crashed. It was decided that it wasn’t worth trying to put a show to air.

News report on fault

On the Sunday there was a “relaunch” of the show.

8 Likes

Doing some research at the State Library for a blog post to come, I found this sales advert for TVQ0 in Brisbane in a 1976 copy of B&T magazine:

And this ad for Tasbuy (TVT6/TNT9) featuring a TNT9 logo I’d never seen before:

3 Likes

HSV7’s Nine O’Clock News which ran over a number of summers, was publicised as a summer offering, and it was stated that it provided an opportunity for people to catch the news they missed (at 6.30) while making the most of the early evening sunshine.

Only 3 weeks late, Channel 7!

5 Likes