General TV History

TVO’s PRG was animated

Edit: later versions were blue

4 Likes
2 Likes

Wow, Ten were still producing the 11.30am news on Boxing Day (presuming this update is from Christmas Night, judging by the stories included) back then?!

2 Likes

Ten had a very consistent news brand in those days…

11.30am Ten Morning News
5.00pm Ten News First at Five
10.30pm Ten Late News
11.00am Sports Tonight.

Even on Weekends…

Meet the Press (Sundays)
5.00pm Ten News First at Five (30 minutes)
5.30pm Sports Tonight.
10.30pm Ten Late News
11.00am Sports Tonight.

3 Likes

I remember BTV6 used to flip there logo a few times on the prg back in the eighties

GMV6 used to do the same. Then later changed to have the screen shape and “6” drawn on screen.

YouTube: RegionalTVAustralia

1 Like

Interesting I don’t think BTV ever done that one… Cheers

I am quite sure in Perth it did animate. It was like a morph then turned into the circle. Really testing my memory here as I was really too young to know. I just remember seeing it on old VHS tapes. Coulda been the older white one.

Thanks… thats the one I was thinking of.

Yes, not in colour, but animated.

Yes it was animated in 1986!!!

Credit- Cyrious01

But in 1987 it went to a coloured non animated version

Credit - Bergoine

2 Likes

1st version

2nd version

The last on-air look with the circle 7 logo and the first with “The One to Watch” slogan and introduces the five coloured bar. The colour bar was used in 7’s on air presentation in the first version of their current logo used from New Year’s Day 2000 until July 2003.
Sting played “Every Breath You Take” during the AFL Grand Final pre-match entertainment which was broadcasted on 7.

3 Likes

In the same series but after the logo change…

2 Likes

From @zampakid

1 Like

I actually loved these idents from that era

5 Likes

Good story from Startsat60 on Great Temptation. However, per my recollection:

Temptation was the original program running daytime on 7 with Tony Barber and Barbie Rogers, and Max Roley on voiceover. The program was very popular and was extended to run as a double episode five days a week.

The $25,000 Great Temptation was then launched (same cast; bigger prizes) with a primetime weeknight slot.

For quite a while 7 was running an hour and a half a day of Temptation/Great Temptation.

My understanding is the prime time version originally ran just one night a week, 7pm Monday, as the replacement for Pick A Box which had just ended after 23 years. It then got extended to two nights and then to 5 nights.

The shift of Great Temptation to 8.30pm in 1974 was a mistake so Seven then moved it to mid-afternoons but still kept the separate daytime version but just bumped that to 11.00am before both shows were axed later in the year.

Seven then had Tony Barber host a new game show, Name That Tune, that I don’t think was successful.

That would be the first rugby league State of Origin match. It may have been the first SoO on ATN7 though?

It started in 1977 when Nine had the American ABC ident from Fall 1976 (Let Us Be the One) modified for its use. The 9 without the dots fitted better in the space where abc appeared, and in fact for the first few years of this practice the animation resolved between the 9 (alone) and the Dots (alone).

Some years later when Nine ceased buying the ABC promotions they continued to have the 9 alone in indents but always the full dotty 9 for all other applications. Until of course a brief period this century.

3 Likes

Thanks for the elaboration. I saw a guide in the thread with Pick a Box on GTV9. I always remembered it as an HSV7 program so must have transferred across.

Yep. Started on GTV9 but later shifted to Seven when station affiliations changed.