General TV History

Not that Wikipedia is the best source but some useful info on the “Circle 7” nonetheless.

2 Likes

The Sun-Herald, Sydney, 1 September 1968.

4 Likes

The style of 7 logo as used by ABC in America is truly AWFUL…

If ATN did use it, I am glad I never ever saw that or noticed it.

The colour Seven style logo from the mid-late 70s to mid 80s is still their best I think.

3 Likes

Yes - I don’t like it either.

Wiki has this logo as starting in 1975 but for some reason I can’t remember I have it as 1974.

4 Likes

I agree. While it might be iconic in America, that style of circle 7 logo looks hideously dated IMO. You certainly wouldn’t design something like that these days, that’s for sure.

Although on the flipside, I wouldn’t be too surprised if media enthusiasts overseas think that a lot of Australian TV logos and On-Air Presentation look rather dated compared to what they’re used to.

I wonder this as well. I’m overseas at the moment and have been watching a small amount of German television, and some of their logos/presentation are downright weird or ugly. RTL’s logo strikes me as a particularly ugly example:

Presentation here for the most watched channel (“Das Erste”, in English “The First”, shorthand for “Erste Deutsche Fernsehen” or “First German Television”) is extremely minimalist. I’ll try to get some caps, but the graphics of promos etc are essentially just the logo with the time overlayed over footage of the program.

The weirdest thing is that they use Powerpoint-esque transitions between programs; imagine a Powerpoint wipe transition between the end of ABC News and the start of an episode of Doc Martin. They also overlay local ads on the countdown for the national news which seems like a really precarious idea, but they pull it off. Often the ads run up until there’s less than a second before the end of the countdown, at least in the state I’m in.

The second public broadcaster (ZDF) has a permanently solid orange watermark and quite often leaves the program name on the bottom of the screen in BIG letters.

This went off on a tangent, but there’s lots of little things about TV I’ve noticed from only a couple of hours of viewing over the last month. It would be interesting to see how a German or European views Australian TV presentation.

Edit: also, news channels don’t start their news bulletins at the top of the hour for some reason. I still can’t figure out how they operate.

2 Likes

Wiki has a lot that is incorrect.

My understanding (which may or not be 100% correct) is that ATN7 changed to the rainbow circle 7 logo towards the end of 1974 as colour test transmissions were starting. But in Melbourne HSV7 stuck with the former black-and-white 7 logo going into 1975 and then sort of ran with the “Seven” logo (below) which was very short-lived – only a couple of months if that – before going to the same 7 logo as Sydney. Although I have also had people recall that HSV7 ran both the “Seven” and rainbow “7” logos concurrently. So it’s difficult for me to come to a definite conclusion there as I was only 3 years old at the time and barely remember anything that far back :stuck_out_tongue:

p.s. I’m also not aware of any Australian channel, other than ATN7, to use the “ABC7” type of logo.

5 Likes

That’s how I though it went in Brisbane as well. There was the colour circle logo for the start of “color” TV in 1974. Prior to that there was

Which complemented their modern studio!

Not sure what the logo in this image is - whether it was just an approximation painted onto the news car.

5 Likes

The situation of ADS7 in Adelaide is also unclear to me given that it was linked to HSV7 in those days under common ownership by the Herald and Weekly Times. Not sure that ADS entirely followed suit with Sydney either.

1 Like

Is that a young Jason Cameron on the left in that pic? He was at BTQ around that time…

1 Like

Yes - here’s another from the same time

5 Likes

Still not sure what that font is.

Was there a variation of that ABC7 style logo used in Australia in which the top of the numeral extended outside the circle and formed an arrow? My memory may be faulty but I think I may have seen it in archival material at some point.

Apparently it was one Seven had custom made

National Nine Morning News on August 2, 2001 with Sharyn Ghidella.

3 Likes

Mark Burrows presenting National Nine Morning News back in 2001.

2 Likes

Source: zyzaxxxch

Here’s a gem from someone’s archive. Some ads, promos and close-down sequence from ADS7, Adelaide, from May 1977. Taped in black and white but presumably aired in colour.

Includes some very hi-tech presentation in the rundown of the following night’s programs. Plus some 1970s casual racism in promoting the sitcom Love Thy Neighbour,

6 Likes

There’s even voice overs from Tony Phillips who ended up at SES 8 and was a newsreader, station manager and voiceover for many of the promos for Channel 8.

1 Like

Is this real or a mock?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I believe that WIN HD actually used to air static lineups with very dubious presentation standards…

1 Like