General TV History

HA! I work not too far from there - it’s a shithole now! :rofl: (that address, not where I work)

I wonder when they moved out of the 'Ville?!?!

1 Like

Planned on air date of July 1991 for Newcastle and Northern NSW?

Well, we know THAT didn’t happen… I do recall that there were enquiries about whether Aggregation could be brought forward in Northern NSW, but the government stated that there wasn’t any funding available.

Things ended up going the other way, Coffs / Lismore didn’t end up getting Prime until April 1992.

The government did bring Victoria forward from Dec 92/Jan 93 to January 1992, but Prime held off their launch across Victoria until March, just in time for the AFL season.

3 Likes

This was from the Canberra Times but I haven’t got a date for it. Sometime in 1989…

and WIN:

4 Likes

What a generic newspaper logo is that!

1 Like

I didn’t think Prime started 30 min local news in Canberra until 1990, I thought it was only 15 min in 1989 (from 5:45 to 6:00).

1 Like

No, Prime had started 30 min local news in Canberra from the 1st day of aggregation until August 1989, when it switched to a 15 min format. It then switched back to a 30 min format in May 1990, and remained that way until it was axed in May 1991, replaced with a 5 min bulletin at 6:25pm.

From 1989 to 1991, Canberra had 4 proper local news services, provided by ABC, Prime, WIN & Capital.

3 Likes

Capital’s 1989 ID.

5 Likes

and to think in 1996 win tv took over vic tv here in ballarat and how excited i was to see that a national brodacaster taking over a local regional network , how naive i was lol

1 Like

and if i recall win took over on a saturday which was a weird day to start broadcasting but never mind lol

1 Like

It should’ve remained as VIC TV.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the video for Capital’s XTEN ident is no longer on YT.

1 Like

@SouthCoastTV was the poster, hopefully he’ll reupload it onto archive.org

I thought the same, but who would have known than what a mess WINs on air appearance would take on a few years later?

2 Likes

TEN News Melbourne 6PM - Tiananmen Square Massacre 1989

1 Like

How did Prime manage the 15 and 5 minute bulletins?

Did they crash out of the National News after sport, and skip the capital city weather forecast for the 5 minute bulletin? And what programming did they have to fill the 15 minute gap for the 15 minute bulletin?

1 Like

I think Prime broke from Seven’s schedule at 5pm and ran cartoons for 15 mins, then Wheel Of Fortune at 5.15, then local news at 5.45 before returning to Seven programming with Seven Nightly News at 6.

As for 5 min news, we also had that here on Prime in Newcastle (in 1992), they would opt out of Seven Nightly News at the end of the first sports report (advertised as being at 6.25) and return to Seven at 6.30pm.

3 Likes

Some BTS/Original footage of WIN TV “A Great Place to Be” Promos from 1987:

‘A Great Place to Be’ Idents:

All uploaded by analogue dreams
6 Likes

Upsetting to see Ross Warren in some of that raw vision.

Just out of interest, what’s the story behind Bill Collins presenting movies on WIN back in the 1980s? Did/does he live in the region or something?

I’m vaguely aware that some of the later “Golden Years of Hollywood” programs for Fox Classics were produced at WIN Wollongong though.

1 Like