General TV History

I agree, it wouldn’t be the same if it wasn’t on Nine, and I’d really want it to be at 7pm as well.

I couldn’t careless about “A Current Affair”.

1 Like

That time in 2000 when it was retitled Sale of the NEW Century.

3 Likes

Loved that theme song of Sale in 2000!

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did bring it back. They did something similar with Big Brother and had a reunion and then they announced that Nine was reviving it.
Stranger things have happened!
I hope they do bring it back (even temptation) it was a great show.

4 Likes

As long as a reboot isn’t along the lines of the Price is Right which turned into an ad for Big W.

9 Likes

Anyone recognises this piece of green card? This was taken by a friend who works at a Commercial TV Network where pieces of card like the one featured use to appear on TV each afternoon!

3 Likes

Ready, Steady, Cook.

4 Likes

Indeed. Was part of the “At Home Sick From School Starter Pack”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

This year is the 60th anniversary of children’s character Mr Squiggle. To celebrate the milestone, the Royal Australian Mint will release a limited edition $2 coin. The coins will be distributed through cash registers at Woolworths across the country from today.

7 Likes

I just watched the first episode of it and holy shit, the amount of big W ads was insane.

2 Likes

Good tribute but the show was axed ages ago.

1 Like

Shameless promotion for Windows 7 via a GO! ident, 2009:

5 Likes

Its a wonder that they haven’t tried the same thing with an ALDI logo (somehow).

1 Like

Don’t give them ideas!

3 Likes

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but definitely worth a watch

Jan Deane was the newsreader on ABC Goulburn Murray right up to last year.

1 Like

Bit of a blast from the past! Would love to see a 16:9 broadcast of Hendo if anyone has one floating around. Although I know this would be incredibly rare…

4 Likes

If my memory serves me correctly, he retired in 2001… Whilst digital TV started that in year, I think widescreen TV broadcasts didn’t arrive until 2003-04?

Henderson retired at the end of 2002. Digital was certainly in place (since 01.01.01) but some stations were lagging in converting production facilities to widescreen. Not sure if TCN was one of those although I recall that all the Nines were not necessarily operating with the most state of the art facilities. I vaguely recall reports stating that while Kerry Packer liked to throw money around at talent apparently he wasn’t as generous in upgrading the infrastructure.

4 Likes

I don’t know exactly when they upgraded, but judging by the snippets I’ve seen replayed in more recent years TCN were producing news bulletins in 16.9 as early as at least 2002:

https://twitter.com/SydneyCityTV/status/536782700799995905
https://twitter.com/SydneyCityTV/status/584269587635548160

If I’m not mistaken, it took the move to Martin Place for Seven News’ Sydney-based productions to be in widescreen. Not sure if they had the 1080i cameras as far back as 2004 (live graphics weren’t in HD until the 2010 relaunch) but if I’m not mistaken the only element they manage to get in HD before Nine News Sydney was live footage from those.

Things must’ve changed sometime in the last decade or so, because Nine seems to have the best HD infrastructure of all news services in Sydney (and to be fair, most other markets) these days.

Perhaps @blackbox might remember the transition, since he would’ve been working at TCN when they were undergoing major upgrades in 2009/10! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow, great find @SydneyCityTV!

From the first screencap you posted I think it is clear that TCN9 was producing news in widescreen. Take a look at this comparison. First image is courtesy of yourself. Second image is a capture from sirmechie’s youtube video of his final broadcast.

EDIT: Just did a search on the National Film and Sound Archive Collection out of curiosity - to see what type of material is archived. Turns out that most of the National Nine News 2002 are saved on tape, though I would presume 16:9.

NFSA

4 Likes