General TV History

This let me think about another question there: Did ATV0 share programs with TVQ0 in the days of common ownership (1970 - 1979), so as ADS/HSV7, #myfriend ???

I wouldn’t put it down to that. Historically the Melbourne and Adelaide stations had a close partnership, due to their ownership and sports coverage (AFL/VFL) Perth have also fallen into that category somewhat.

Common ownership didn’t necessarily enforce common programming but I suppose it did happen but the main factor was which network a channel was a member of. But network and programming arrangements were a lot more casual than they are now.

There was also the situation for some years where Fairfax owned ATN7 in Sydney but also owned QTQ9 in Brisbane. So in Sydney they were a Seven Network member, but in Brisbane it was a Nine Network member. Because of this very little programming overlapped between those 2 channels with some exceptions. Pop music show Sounds was made at ATN7 and was shown on QTQ9 in Brisbane. And children’s program Shirl’s Neighbourhood was made at HSV7 and bought by ATN7 and also appeared in Brisbane on QTQ9. But this sort of thing was not common.

And even though Shirl’s Neighbourhood was made at HSV7, its own sister station in Adelaide (ADS7) didn’t buy it. Instead it got picked up by SAS10. So even common owned stations weren’t guaranteed to buy each other’s product.

National Nine Morning News Partial Bulletin from 29/7/2004:

6 Likes

I loved the old NBN3 helicopter. Being from Port Macquarie it would sometimes pop up this way during the 1990s if a story warranted it.

But check out Ray’s collars!

And that could have been due to Adelaide having its own children’s programs at the time. They were interesting times.

1 Like

With GG’s mention of “Our next major bulletin is at 6pm” during the closer, this leads us to the inevitable question: At what point during 2004 was the Afternoon Edition of National Nine News launched? What we definitely know is that Nine was competing against Seven with a news bulletin at 4.30pm weekdays by the end of that year.

2 Likes

I remember that Nine launched the Afternoon Edition of National Nine News in August 2004, which was when Seven rested their 4:30 News, due to their coverage of the Athens Olympics taking over the timeslot.

3 Likes

I thought the 4:30 bulletins started in 2003 with the initial “7 Iraq Update” bulletins. These started early in the year from memory (around March) when things were getting hostile towards the war in Iraq commencing and I thought Nine had followed suit fairly quickly. Later once things in Iraq had settled down the bulletin became a more generic 7 News bulletin.

4 Likes

Yep, I think it was called Target Iraq and was presented by David Johnston. I’ve always been a fan of the theme they used for it.

It became a normal bulletin (4:30 news it was called) with David Johnston being the inaugural presenter for that.

6 Likes

I dunno man, I could cope with all that back when news was only a half hour. That extra 30 minutes changes a man.

2 Likes

Yep, it started in February 2003 with David Johnson presenting. It moved to Melbourne around April/May re-titled Sevens 4.30 News. David Brown was introduced at this time. The bulletin also had a news ticker and open newsroom. It lead with the top national story of the day, with a large focus on international news in the middle. There was a local whip around on the lead story (in each city) after the weather. Fantastic bulletin at the time.

5 Likes

I think that is meant to say 2003.
I was always a big fan of the newsroom set.

4 Likes

Am I missing something here? I don’t get the reference to the TV Times. That promo was undoubtedly an Aussie one for one of the Channel Nine stations. And “Get the TV Times feeling” doesn’t sound like a tagline ITV would have used.

There were various “Channel Nine” stations on the ITV network in the VHF days - but they were known on air by their actual names (eg Granada). I think there was some “You’re on Channel Nine, Granada” type jingles. Are you saying there was an ITV company that used the line “Get the Channel Nine Feeling”?

EDIT: Here’s the Granada jingle I was vaguely remembering: “You’re looking in on Channel Nine, Granada”. Skip to 07:22.

Credit: Bob the Fish Productions - YouTube.

3 Likes

citation needed

1 Like

#myfriend

Thanks #myfriend, but that doesn’t tell us the years. I certainly doubt it was in use the years that Logopedia suggests.

And we don’t know the context that this logo was used. Was it used as an actual logo on-air?

2 Likes

On the other hand…

Similar, right #myfriend ???

2 Likes

It is similar though the solid red version doesn’t look right and it’s not the right font.

1 Like
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter