General TV History

Ah the Unisexers, I remember thinking the show sounded sexy and I was quite looking forward to it.

Mind you I was under 10 so my concept of sophistication and sexiness wasn’t too developed.

Looking back at it now it’s a complete embarrassment, I’ll bet no one involved in that show puts it on their CV.

Given this was the same time as Number 96 which was genuinely raunchy and shocking for the time, the Unosexers was bland, sterilised crap even for the 1970s.

2 Likes

A newspaper ad for the Nine on 5 campaign from June 2016:

5 Likes

Back in 2016, I was very happy that WIN Severed ties with the Nine network affiliation after 27 years. Since the start of 2006, WIN removed the dots. At the start of 2010s decade, they didnt have the dots back. WIN Network has been beaten by Seven Affiliates. Since the start of the 2nd half of 2016, WIN took over Network Ten affiliate, while Southern Cross took over Nine affilate programming (Regional QLD, South NSW, Regional VIC, Tasmania). The reason why I like the Nine branding in regional areas, is that they have the dots. Therefore, having the dots in regional areas is significant. Nine Regional Affiliates (Mildura, Griffith, Regional SA and Regional and Remote Western Australia) got the dots back.

1 Like

What?!?! I’m seeing dots!

1 Like

I have to say, I got a sense of satisfaction when I was watching Nine West in the weeks after the Great Swap of 2016, knowing WIN was no longer tainting Nine.

5 Likes

I think he may have measles.

1 Like

Errrrr…what about the programming? If you avoid watching a channel because you don’t like their logo - you need to seek help.

To me, the switch was like swapping one piece of shit for another. Australian television needs to be blown up with several tonnes of dynamite.

4 Likes

At least WIN bothered to carry 9LIFE even if it was all for 15 minutes

I think the swap set us back a bit in terms of regionals getting all the new multi channels though. Unless you’re in Regional QLD/NSW/VIC.

1 Like

You might be on the watchlist now dude!

1 Like

It was around this time thirty years ago that Seven launched the last incarnation of the circle 7 logos. Can’t remember the exact date it launched but I do remember seeing full page ads in The Sunday Telegraph the day before it was launched on air. Lasted until 31 December 1999.

3 Likes

1989 I think.

1 Like

IMHO, they should’ve kept the ‘Circle 7’ theme going past 1999.

Me either but strangely they were running Seven Nightly News ads (“Nobody knows news like 7”) from early January with the new logo, but the rest of the network presentation was still the “old” logo. It was very odd but at least hinted a change was coming.

My only guess is the new logo formally launched late in January but don’t know the date.

4 Likes

The new ‘Split 7’ logo launched on January 23.

I was close!

That very same day, Roger Climpson would return to Seven Nightly News Sydney (which was still airing at 6.30pm then, before moving to 6pm on August 14 that year) after around seven years off.

Initially replacing Richard Zachariah as Ann Sanders’ co-presenter, Roger would become the solo anchor of the bulletin during the first half of the 1990s and was moderately successful against Nine at times until his Early 1995 retirement.

3 Likes

This turned up on YouTube tonight. Highlights of WIN’s first ever bulletin in Canberra, March 1989. Very amateurish and sounds like it was broadcast from a warehouse.

Source: TasTV Archive (YouTube)

5 Likes

Here’s an article from The Canberra Times dated 1st April 1989, relating to the first night of WIN News & Prime Local News in Canberra.

How long did Peter Russell last before Peter Leonard started reading and led the bulletin to success?

Peter Leonard joined WIN in December 1991 as weather presenter after the 1st incarnation of ABC News Canberra was axed in August, where he was on that same role. In March 1992, Peter Leonard took over as newsreader, where he remains on that role until July 2007.

3 Likes