General TV History

On this day in 2002, just after Georgie Gardner’s weather report, Brian Henderson told viewers he had decided to retire at the conclusion of his contract after 46 years with Nine. He would read his final bulletin on 29 November 2002.

4 Likes

It may have been both, as I remember seeing whole segments from State Focus. I never watched long enough to see if it was a full program.

1 Like

Here is some footage of the Tasmanian version

I do too, does anyone know what it was used for?

2 Likes

My guess would be some sort of resource pack tied to the WA schools curriculum, perhaps?

Some places are great for providing resources to schools. As much as I bagged Rupert out in the NRL on Nine thread, to their credit, his 20th Century Fox gave us some Hidden Figures gear for our school - 3 copies of the book the movie was based on, some posters and flyers. Not bad.

3 Likes

It shows how the news is produced. I had the Seven News Melbourne version when i was at high school

4 Likes

This Simpsons promo from 2007 appeared on the Australian DVD release of The Simpsons Movie.

3 Likes

Happy birthday 0 / 0-28 / SBS TV

A short video to celebrate

4 Likes

From opening night, an Australian adaptation of Three Sea Wolves from Greece, starring Chantal Contouri. I was watching Channel 0 that night but as far as I can recall I didn’t see much beyond the opening intro by Bruce Gyngell

Not aware that Three Sea Wolves was ever repeated.

5 Likes

National Nine News Melbourne Opener with Peter Hitchener from April 27, 1986 (includes Lineup + Ident)

Video uploaded by
oz tv

4 Likes

I have a book that I have owned since I was ten years old called “Australia Through Time”. It’s a detailed look at how Australian society had changed between 1859 and 2009 (the year of publication).

Anyway, I happened to come across it earlier today as I was sorting through my stuff and I just thought I would share a few tv/media-related newspaper articles which are in the book: :slight_smile:

A newspaper article from 1963 based on the Federal Government granting a television licence for a 3rd network (Channel Ten).

This is from 1993.

A newspaper article from 1966.

6 Likes

I have that book, except that my particular copy only goes up to 1997. It updates each year.

2 Likes

That’s interesting to hear. I had always assumed that the book I own was a limited-edition release, because the book covers a 150-year timeline and I haven’t seen another “Australia Through Time” release in stores. Since your copy only goes up to 1997, would I be right in assuming that was the year you bought/received the book?

Yes, I received mine in 1998.

Ten News at 6 - makes u think about ratings. Surely surely this would be better than Pointless…!

2 Likes

Probably not… it was a diffferent time, a generation ago.

The audience just isn’t there anymore.

During this era the top news service at 6 would pull a 32, maybe 35 on a good day… today you’d be lucky to rate a 20.

Even when Ten was number one at 6 it was only because of Perfect March at 5.30.

Ten surrendered 6pm almost 30 years ago… they tried to resurrect it during the news revolution and failed.

These days they’re better off counter programming.

1 Like

Yeah well their recent 6pm news did better than Pointless. Also, I mean, 6pm news on Seven and Nine still decimates everything else all night so they may as well join the party and get some of that pie.

By the way, those clips are mine.

I’m not going to defend Pointless… it’s clearly not the right show.

If you’re going to be satisfied with low ratings then the program needs to be cheap and a local production is not that.

But I don’t think taking Seven and Nine head on is the answer… some form of counter programming is the way to go… but don’t ask me what because I haven’t come up with an answer yet :sunglasses:

Also Ten wasn’t #1 just because of Perfect Match. They didn’t have Perfect Match in 1982. Nor in June 1989 when they were #1.

I don’t remember, you could be right… but the common belief at the time was that lead in was crucial… and it still is today… it may not be the deciding factor but it helps.