General TV History

I suppose this comes from a station opener although incomplete, but at least carries some historical significance as it came from QTV in North Queensland in the period during 1990 when it was still mapped out to be a Channel 9 affiliate:

YouTube: Dan Martin

A bit strange (maybe?) that they chose to list the translator stations but not the primary transmitter(s).

You wonder how many royalties did they (or didn’t they?) pay for using that song for so long!

4 Likes

I remember in the late 80’s or early 90’s the ABC would start at 6am and would have a test pattern and music starting from about 5:50 which always had “This Old Man” playing before getting into kids shows at 6.

Can’t remember when TasTV/WIN went 24 hours but I can remember all the ads for Southern Cross shifting to 24 hours around 1994 from memory. The ads had lots of clocks in it and talked about how the world never stops and now Southern Cross will go 24 hours to keep up with it or something like that.

1 Like

Hitler reaction to Channel 9’s coverage of the last Olympics. Gold medal performance four years on!

3 Likes

TasTV/WIN was 24 hours by January 1995 so must have happened during 1994, possibly coinciding with aggregation?

Yeah, could have been, a bit too young to remember unfortunately. But I’m wondering whether Southern Cross might have also changed prior to aggregation, either late 93 or early 94 in preparation for aggregation.

I don’t know unfortunately. The earliest post-aggregation TV listing I have for Tasmania is from January 1995. But Southern Cross’ Victorian branch went 24/7 a little while (not immediately) after aggregation happened in regional Victoria, so Tasmania may have done similar.

1 Like

Worth posting here, a new iView only series from ABC

###When TV Was Awesome

When TV Was Awesome is a series of short vignettes especially selected from the rich resource that is the ABC archive. Pulled out, dusted off and creatively revoiced, some of our best archival gems get the comedy-mash-up make-over they deserve! Irreverent, funny, satirical, sharable, clickable and above all, When TV Was Awesome is an enjoyable reimagining of our television history.

1 Like

ABC moments make you LOL.

4 Likes

when are these available to watch?

I can’t find it?

Is there a link to the series?

I posted ABC’s program slate for Aug- Dec and this is one of the programs - no other details at this stage.

Marked as “Coming Soon”

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/abc-main-channel-programs-and-schedules/105/147?u=tv.cynic

An episode of Autumn Affair, courtesy of YT uploader ‘Classic Australian TV’.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS3VF8YnPE

An old Ten Eyewitness News Melbourne promo for the San Francisco earthquake way back in 1989. One of the oldest VHS’s I own…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgRAoXfgwV4

5 Likes

Sydney television guide for the first week of the 1960 Rome Olympics. ATN7 had a breakfast program at the time, and looking at the daily programs it appears that the first hour from 7:00am was a mixture of news and other programming, with the second hour from 8:00am being news and talk, so an Olympic report probably would have aired during this I think particularly as they had a late morning Olympic report on the weekend.

2 Likes

iView program When TV Was Awesome now available

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/abc-iview/206/21?u=tv.cynic

Sounds like The Olden Days and Bargarse.

“Bad hat, bad hat, bad hat!”
“Naughty sleeve, naughty sleeve!”

2 Likes

Bit random and international, but a video I’ve never come across before: a reel of CNN’s 2006 branding (which I personally love).

1 Like

Here’s the Melbourne guide for the Monday, 29 August, from TV Times:

1 Like

That was when Disney was on Nine in Sydney and Seven in Melbourne, a situation that continued to around the early 1980s I think!? I distinctly remember Mike Walsh doing an interview about the late 1970s The New Mickey Mouse Club on his show as it was going to be on TCN-9, but he made a joke about it being on Seven elsewhere.

2 Likes