General TV History

Kind of nice. Ten Sydney’s Evening News never had this kind of localised look, even in promos. Also, the theme was sort of modified here.

2 Likes

Some gold! A Seven Nightly News Melbourne and Today Tonight Melbourne bulletin from January 1997. Presented by Peter Mitchell and Naomi Robson.

5 Likes

That set looked terrible.

1 Like

Potentially 5th time at ATV. It was dumped in 1988 (for Ten News), 1990 (for Ten Evening News) and 1994 or thereabouts (Ten News, again).

And ATV0 also i believe “rested it” for a spell in the late 70s when they had News At Six instead before reinstating Eyewitness News in 1978 or 79 ish

5 Likes

At least there’s one thing we now know for sure, this clip of a Today Tonight closer you recorded (via a Sky News rebroadcast) is from the same date as the bulletin on oldnewsaus’ channel. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Such a solid show with strong branding. Just a gorgeous production and obviously made with a lot of love and care. Would be lovely if CBS brought in Sunday Morning for Ten.

4 Likes

Can remember the Sunday theme every weekend when Dad would have it on in the background. Almost as memorable as the ABC Radio news theme.

3 Likes

Such a gentle, relaxing, thoughtful show. From the feature story, to the film review, to Laurie. It was like opening up the Sunday paper.

1 Like

Jim Walley was the first to announce that Princess Diana was in a car accident in Paris, no?

Rowan Forster also did some around the grounds coverage on ABC for AFL. I wonder if he called ends of matches for ABC back then(maybe he was at the MCG if it wasn’t the broadcast game back then)

Certainly the first I heard of the accident, and “possible broken arm” was from Jim.

Jim Waley presented the first/initial reports, but I’m pretty sure Tracy Grimshaw was the first presenter on Nine to announce the death of Princess Diana.

This was Nine’s first report of the death “the news is not good”.

2 Likes

It was certainly from Jim that I first heard about the accident but the news of the death may have come shortly after the show had finished and it also came from the Nine Newsroom. I think the death announcement may have even been late morning or early afternoon.

1 Like

It was early afternoon, Nine network stations and Win were all playing programs locally, so it was all a bit of a mess, some stations may have got the Dianna news earlier than others. From memory there were some sort of swimming championships on GTV when the news was broken.

2 Likes

But did they have extended coverage on the breaking news on the sudden death of Princess Diana back in September 1997?

Not from what I remember, just regular news flashes (the in thing before breaking news on everything), maybe they got longer and longer later on in the afternoon but generally everything was always just news breaks until things like September 11.

1 Like

The first announcement on Nine as can be seen in the video above was during swimming and as Tracey says one hour after the time of death.

Nine went back to the swimming but then abandoned that and came back with CNN coverage. My recollection is that in Brisbane Seven also had CNN so Nine switched to Sky News. ABC ran a special report and Ten an early News bulletin

3 Likes

Of minor interest was the OS networks use of the term “Breaking News” - something that hadn’t caught on here at the time.

Opener for Ten’s special bulletin

6 Likes

That Ten News set was the perfect set for that space.

Australia used “Newsflash” a lot in the past.

2 Likes