General TV History

Here’s an interesting one. The BBC News at Six (usually for domestic UK consumption) broadcast on BBC World News because of strike action, with a big clash between the old and the new. This obviously took place after BBC World News moved into their new broadcast facilities but before the domestic services had made the move.

1 Like

WIN Television Promo Montage from June 1989 (3 months after aggregation).

4 Likes

Made a couple of videos a while ago and I’m starting the series again
Mostly from Sydney

Other ones of this type I’ve made from ages ago:
(cringe thumbnail)

8 Likes

Similar to @SamSamTV’s videos, here are my compilations, featuring Melbourne media:

3 Likes

IMHO, Seven Nightly News just rolls off the tongue better.

1 Like

Seven Nightly News became Seven News in March 2000

2 Likes

Seven News using NBC Today’s theme for intro for their Gulf War coverage with Ross Symonds and Derryn Hinch

5 Likes

I was recording that night and caught that opener on Seven before I flicked over just in time to catch this on Ten (with the late great Eric Walters).

6 Likes

While Seven used the NBC theme, Nine used ABC US’s

Eric Walters announcing Ten would provide 24 hour coverage of the war.

4 Likes

Ahhhhh, the days of the 40 second plus closers. Those were the days.

Caps of Seven Nightly News Sydney Weekend edition 15th January 2000

7 Likes

WIN PRG 1981

Seems very fancy for its time, animated!

2 Likes

GMV6 also had an animated PRG logo. Not sure if they were doing it as early as 1981 but certainly by around 1982 or 83. But theirs wasn’t in colour.

The “4” logo shown is certainly not subtle, though!

And interesting to see another regional variety show. BTV6 in Ballarat of course did Six Tonight for years (and it later became Thursday Night Live when it got extended statewide). I think NBN did one as well as one stage.

Everyone, please look closely to the blue-parenthesed area…

is that a screenshot for Prime Wollongong/South Coast?

It’s VERY big too!

Almost makes WIN’s current blue blob seem … well, small :open_mouth:

Eric Walters was originally lined up to present that Wollongong Tonight show but pulled out. Malcolm T. Elliott was a great radio talent. I’m not sure he really worked as a tonight show host. I guess you’d need to see more of the format to judge. I only vaguely remember this going to air. I can’t imagine they would’ve had top notch talent driving down from Sydney to appear on a local show like that.

2 Likes

The road to the end of localism…
3 Likes

I’m sure we’ve discussed this before but my memory is fading. Did NSW Lotto ever join in the Australian Lotto Bloc which was basically the Victorian Tattslotto draw just marketed under different names in each state (Gold Lotto, X-Lotto, etc).

e.g. SAS10 in Adelaide used to show X-Lotto but it was just a re-badge of the Melbourne Tattslotto draw from HSV7.

1 Like

The Saturday lotto draw wasn’t introduced into NSW until April 2004. Nine would show the numbers being drawn in Melbourne with a local presenter on set in Sydney. The drawing device was different to the one that was used for Monday and Wednesday NSW draws that were conducted in Nine’s Sydney studio at the time.

3 Likes