General TV History

The Ansett news on Tuesday was overshadowed by a much larger event that changed the world forever the following day.

Chris Reason was at Sydney Airport covering Ansett on Tuesday 11th September 2001. Less than 24 hours later, he would be covering the 9/11 attacks which was relayed on all news outlets

2 Likes

Judging by that clip, Canberra was still receiving ABC News NSW at the time of recording. I wonder exactly when in September 2001 the local edition was (re)launched.

“Absolutely Grounded”

I see what Ten Capital News did there! :wink:

4 Likes

ABC News Canberra was (re)launched on Monday 24th September 2001 according to this link: https://virginiahaussegger.com.au/article/generosity-of-spirit-endures-long-after-duration-is-reached/

The local edition of Stateline (later 7.30 ACT) was also launched at around the same time.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I didn’t like it when 9 had the rights to telecast the AFL back in 2002-06 as it clashes with NRL most of the time. Friday night footy saw games delayed throughout Australia. Nsw, QLD and ACT had games played during the midnight! This was vice-versa for NRL with games delaying into overnight in VIc, SA and WA. IIRC, Channel 9 received delayed telecast of nearly all games. Despite the delayed telecast, ratings were very high at that time. 2006 was a very bad year for Nines afl coverage with ratings dwindling. During that year it was its final year of the afl contract. Network ten telecasted all final series plus Brownlow Medal (except 2004, 05 where’s it was show on Nine) as well as the Grand final Live.

1 Like

But, apart from not having the finals, it was great for Nine, because for the first time they could sell advertising nationally across the NRL and AFL predominate states in equal measure, and simplified programming, i.e. not having to schedule throw-away programmes in Melbourne to balance the NRL telecasts in the north.

3 Likes

That was fairly normal at the time. Seven did the same when they had the rights prior to Nine and Ten did the same with Saturday Night Football.

3 Likes

Yep, and it would still be happening today if it wasn’t for the secondary channels.

2 Likes

On this day 5 years ago, we lost the great Peter Harvey. A sad day for the Nine Network and Australian television

9 Likes

Yes, that was sad. I always thought he might of ended up hosting either a revamped This Is Your Life or a storytelling format similar to One Plus One and Australian Story - something a little less taxing as he got older, but still working. Yes I know he presented the Mailbag segment on 60 Minutes, but I think he wouldn’t of seen it as quite enough.

I think Peter Harvey possibly would’ve called it a career and decide to retire (something he deserved but unfortunately, was denied from having) around 2015 or 2016, maybe continuing some form of connection with Nine for promotional purposes.

In any case, it’s hard to believe it’s now been five years since he passed away. :cry:

Peter Harvey was also filing reports (mainly those in the fluff/puff piece category that Mike Dalton does these days) for Nine News Sydney in later years along with the “Mailbag” segments for 60 Minutes. Who could ever forget the reports “from the North Pole” he did every Christmas Eve?

And he wasn’t above having impressions done of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCy8E9PL8k

Didn’t Optus carry FNF live back when Seven had it for NSW/QLD?

A few clips from Sydney TV in 1988 which might be of interest!

Channel Ten “We’re For You” Launch Promo - including the On-Air personalities of 1988 and some lovely footage of the city:

Tail end of an Eyewitness News Update with Anne Fulwood, Promo for the Steve Liebmann & Geraldine Doogue-fronted weeknight bulletins & the standard network ID of the time:

Channel Seven “Let’s Celebrate '88” Ident & Opener of a weekend edition Seven Nightly News for Sydney with Susie Elelman, 23/4/1988:

Thanks to the news is for these uploads! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks SydneyCityTV. The backstory to my pre-'89 videos is that I found them on tapes at my high school. They were from various documentaries and stuff that my school had taped. All the stuff from '89 and onwards - the 89 Eyewitness News, the Katrina Lee/Tim Webster stuff, the incredible promos, the Gulf War on Ten, etc. - I taped myself. Before 89, I was a primary school kid in England, where I was taping all sorts of stuff from ITN, C4, Thames, CBS, Italian TV… (also on my channel) :slight_smile:

One video from Sydney from before 1989 I did record myself - that was the “It’s as Sydney as Brian Henderson” clip - because it aired in a segment on TV-AM London!

3 Likes

Come to think of it, due to the fact that I didn’t physically tape those three, I think I probably have slightly less of an attachment to those clips - which is probably why I posted them about 10 years later than my other ones! I was also not a huge fan of the “X” TEN era (which I never saw in person. We came back to Australia in September '89, right when I taped that Eyewitness News opener with Ron and Anne).

2 Likes

I Think this FNF coverage was played during midnight in NSw/QLD.

A rare logo and end-cap used when Seven attempted to rebrand themselves The Australian Television Network.

7%20Network%20(1987-88)

2 Likes

That’s different to the only Austn Television Network logo I’ve seen… Which is more like the star being in the bottom left hand corner with the red stripe more like a backslash keyboard symbol. As below

images-4

2 Likes

It seems Seven went through two different looks in an attempt to rebrand.

1 Like