General TV History

The nightly news broadcast from that night

3 Likes

From 13 years ago Today…

6 Likes

Opening to the 1984 Carols preceded by promo for Nine’s Stereovision. This was one of the first programs broadcast in stereo in Australia. At the time I had a Sony TV tuner and can remember the first time the “Zweiton” LED lit indicating a stereo carrier being broadcast. Australia chose the German stereo TV system that also allowed separate A and B channel soundtracks but I don’t think that was ever implemented in Australia. Anyway, luckily for this recording, I also purchased a stereo HiFi video recorder.

7 Likes

2017 is almost history.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting look at early Foxtel. Recorded on the long-defunct Fox Travel, included are promos for TV1, Discovery Channel, Lifestyle, FX, and also promos that deal with the launch of RAI International, FOX Kids and the History Channel. Surprisingly enough, no promos for other Fox Travel programmes.

Here’s Fox Travel’s ident:

And why not, the only ‘ad’ from the whole two hour recording:

2 Likes

When did FOX Travel/Soap/Talk close? and replaced with what? I know FOX History is The History Channel.

It’s 30 years since SAS and ADS swapped frequencies and affiliations.

6 Likes

New Years Eve 1989. Brought in the new decade watching cricket on the TV. Was a one dayer in Perth. That match is probably remember for this

But watching on NBN Channel 3 there was no real fanfare that I recall
2 Likes

Probably because the Aussies weren’t playing?

I think I was watching Rage coming up to midnight

1 Like

I remember where I was when I felt the earth move 28 years ago today. I can even tell you what song 2WL played within minutes of this happening:

3 Likes

Go on then :smiley:

1 Like

It knocked NBN 3 off the air for a short period of time. I was in Muswellbrook at the time where we got it on relay Channel 10. It was the Test Pattern with tone. I thought at the time it seemed unsual that you’d get that about 10:30 in morning.

The other thing I remember was that when NBN gave news updates during the day the background of the NBN news desk was dark. I guess they were trying to conserve emergancy power.

No they weren’t. There was a short countdown during an ad break

This was 18 years ago, New Year’s Eve 31.12.1999

7 Likes

Is it just me or was Millennium Live (and the ABC equivalent) a whole lot of nothing? I mean at least 7 had the Millennium match (Carlton vs Collingwood, the Brendan Fevola arrival show) that night and replayed into Qld the next day.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t that a flop?

The fact that the test match (Australia vs India) finished the day before didn’t help, nor the fact that Collingwood won the spoon and that there really wasn’t anything on the end of that game to make it meaningful (it was a part of the 2000 pre-season round robin comp which signalled the beginning of the end of an AFL pre-season tournament).

Melbourne’s Millennium fireworks display which was shown after the Sydney display on tape-delay

1 Like