General TV History

Weren’t the Nine Sydney & Melbourne news sets actually in the newsroom during the 1980s and 1990s? Or was the design of that only emulating a newsroom look?

Does this count?

5 Likes

A lot of the news updates in the 80s and 90s were switched live out of Presentation control, with stories, v/os, titles, all nhandled by the duty Presentation coordinator just as part of his regular duties, and the news room camera available as a source on the Pres. switcher. As the pace of these updates picked up, that is shorter updates, faster reads and a lot more shorter visuals, it proved prudent to have these pre recorded and edited in an edit suite. Of course centralised playout makes the old situation near impossible.

1 Like

She looks like she’s been held hostage. Blink twice if you’re being held against your will

Lucky Sophie Ryan got out of the Win Network then :wink:

Spike Milligan on Don Burke.

5 Likes

Thank u Spike Milligan!

The great clips from Graham Cousens keep on coming!

Short Promo/Ident for Channel Nine’s “9/9/99 Celebration” promo. Following that is a spot for the “$1 Million Cash Giveaway” from October 2000 with Catrina Roundtree, which I’d imagine was Kerry Packer’s response to the post-Olympics “Adopt A Dot” promotion Seven was running around the same time.

Promo for Nine’s Summer of Cricket, November 1997:

1 Like

Funnily enough, older VHS recordings tend to be in better quality than many newer recordings - mainly because the oldest VCRs could only record in standard play mode.

From the early to mid 1980s, Long Play mode was introduced on more recorders, which sacrificed quality for an extended recording time. I’d imagine most people would have used Long Play mode on their VCRs from then on, due to the high cost of the cassettes.

6 Likes

Ten News Theme Tribal Mix

3 Likes

Think it was called “spot the dot”, and the Nine response was brilliant, because it was so easy compared to the 7 campaign. With “Spot the dot” you had to visit petrol stations or buy magazines, stick things on your TV for only certain periods of time, put the cards in light proof envelopes, fill in forms, and visit petrol stations again. Nine’s just came to you in the letterbox, you watched TV and you just won, or you didn’t.

2 Likes

It was definitely adopt a dot.

5 Likes

Today Show Partial from December 13th 2004 (aired exactly 13 years ago today)

6 Likes

Perhaps tsome promotions used “spot the dot… spot the dot” in them, that has stuck in my mind.

I recall 7 launcher adopt a dot off the back of the Sydney Olympics

What’s the fate of those channels inside the parentheses?

1 Like

Frames!

3 Likes

What did Channel 29 become?

The channel inside the parentheses is FOX Soap/Talk/Travel/History, they were all timeshared onto one channel (31 if I remember correctly) FOX Soap was from 6am-6pm (Monday to Friday) and had General Hospital and a few other US soaps), FOX Talk was from 6pm-6am (Monday to Friday) and had talk shows such as Jerry Springer, Geraldo among others, FOX Travel had all travel programmes from 6am-6pm Saturday and Sunday, and FOX History (the predecessor of the History Channel) from 6pm-6am Saturday and Sunday. FX and FXM shared channel 28 and FXM was classic movies (including Bill Collins Golden Years of Hollywood) at night. FX was more like Fox Classics with classic TV programming from the 60s and 70s mainly from 20th Century Fox Television. Strange to see TVSN on an extra cost package, who would in their right mind would pay extra just to see it? It is now available free to air as a Ten, WIN and Southern Cross multi-channel.

1 Like

With Georgie finishing up on Thursday here is a bulletin from Early June. :slight_smile:

1 Like