General TV History

Great finds @Zampakid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I think they swapped to a half-hour local bulletin about a month before WIN launched. Sonia Vinci moved to Nine News Perth after that, IIRC. I think Steve Levar had already left by then, too.

I remember the hype around the changes. By then, GWN (and Prime) had virtually dropped the ‘This is where we live…’ campaign and started using Seven’s presentation for just about everything - promos, modified ‘The One to Watch’ idents, Olympics promos and Seven News/TT around the corner. Was the beginning of the end of GWN’s monopoly!

4 Likes

I think you can find something like this…

5 Likes

That middle row looks like something a range of cheap electrical appliances would have as a logo - but I quite like the first on the bottom.

I’m surprised the Prime ownership didn’t result in something like this happening however.

gwn

9 Likes

Their best logo and package by far.

Me too. I made a mock of that logo back when I was a kid and first learned of Prime. I figured it was inevitable.

gwn201gwn202

4 Likes

5 Likes

i had some VHS footage taken from a brief stay in Kalgoorlie in 1996 with that ID that transitions into the news intro. There is also a version where the ID turns into the movie intro. I’ve gone through all the tapes i thought it was on and can’t find it anywhere :frowning:

1 Like

If you find that I’ll give you a million bucks. Such a good opener.

Which I found recently by pure luck from a stack of DVD recordings from tape.

If i remember correctly it included headlines on anti-Pauline Hanson protestors… some things never change!

2 Likes

that’s the one! Although it looks like you had better reception than I did. Even though I was right in Kalgoorlie my mate where I was staying must have had a real dodgy antenna and Channel 8 was loaded with interference!

1 Like

That’s funny because it’s one of the worst recordings I have, reception wise. All the households of my childhood had terrible reception until we moved to the north of Kalgoorlie right near the Peter’s Hill transmitter.

1 Like

Ripped from their first website, controlled by Prime:
GWN%20-%20Logo%20-%201995-2001%20(Gold)

1 Like

Note the ad…

14 Likes

Who inside this forum know what ITQ TV logo ('71 - '90) look like?

5 Likes

We Lead the Way…in making sure you stay off the premises.

4 Likes

On this day in 1971, Matlock Police made its debut on ATV0.

Source: Listener In-TV

Source: TV Week

Many people thought Number 96 or The Box were the first to do nudity on TV, but the opening episode of Matlock Police featured nudity as a group of hippies were depicted going skinny dipping in the town lake. Although the very brief glimpse of nudity from Diane Lewis was probably a case of blink and you missed it.

I never saw the series in its original run but often caught re-runs on Channel 10 in the mid-1980s during school holidays

4 Likes

I’m sure I’ve seen the odd episode of Matlock, probably on David Lyle’s Golden Years of Television, but I have more vivid memories of watching the spin off show Solo One that aired on Seven. It featured Paul Cronin riding around on a Police motorbike solving small town problems. It was probably Cronin’s last role before he became known as “Dave Sullivan”.

Solo One seemed to have been skewed towards a younger audience, so definitely no nudity, although I don’t recall if it was made specifically for children. i certainly remember Seven airing repeats in the 4.30pm children’s slot during the 1980s.

Love that cheeky slogan Channel 0 used, also.

1 Like

I don’t think it was specifically a children’s show but was definitely intended as early evening “family” viewing as opposed to the more mature Matlock Police

HSV7 continued to replay it in children’s or before school timeslots well into the 1980s usually during summer non ratings. I’d have to google but I don’t think many episodes were made and Seven didn’t renew it beyond a first series.

Then as you say The Sullivans turned up although Paul Cronin wasn’t the first choice for the role of Dave Sullivan. Apparently Terence Donovan was the first choice but he knocked it back.

2 Likes