General TV History

By your logic, Nine used in 2006 some graphics directly from Ten from the early 2000s.

When the then Southern Cross owned NWS-9 showed a PRG from the new 9 look early, lots on here thought it was just something intended for their SC Ten stations, rather than something intended for Nine.

1 Like

1st Of January, 2007

5 Likes

Not strictly related to the On-Air Presentation I know, but I wonder if you’ve got that Wendy’s ad (as seen in the Sponsor Billboard) in full?

If so, it might be worth an upload at some stage because the ad was lampooned during a “The Ad Road Test” segment on The Chaser’s War On Everything in 2007 (also note how they made fun of Nine’s short lived “The Catch-Up” in the same segment by comparing the show to the APIA “Understanding 50” ads which aired on TV at/around the time) and currently isn’t on YouTube in full as far as I can tell.

3 Likes

Will have a look, have only recorded/seen this so far so it is every possibility that it may be there!

1 Like

The 1971 Dunlop Australian Open Tennis was held at White City in Sydney, with the final day broadcast on the ABC.

4 Likes
2 Likes

On this day 30 years ago was a fairly significant one for Australian television…

*The first nightly/half hour episode of Home & Away goes to air after the movie-length pilot is shown the previous night.

*The previously hour long Seven National News at 6pm becomes the 30 minute Seven Nightly News at 6.30pm in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. With the ADS/SAS swap a few weeks prior it’s possible that the “Seven Nightly News” branding might’ve launched on SAS when they changed their alliances to Seven and I’ve got no idea about when Perth would’ve relaunched.

*With the changes to the news, Seven briefly moves back to the idea of producing local current affairs programs for the East Coast cities although the Melbourne-based “Hinch” with it’s future Senator host (which incidentally was launched on 18/1/1988 in Melbourne and possibly also Adelaide) would gradually go national within a year or so.

Meanwhile on Nine, the “A Current Affair” brand is relaunched after a long hiatus as Jana Wendt starts her very successful five year run as host of the program formerly known as Willesee.

8 Likes

Jana 18/01/88

7 Likes

This is the TVO news opener and closer from same night

4 Likes

Always thought Chris Collins was a great presenter. Did she decide to finish up after just a year or did management prefer Anna McMahon?

1 Like

It certainly was a big day. Even though ratings was still some weeks away, the day also marked the series returns of A Country Practice, Sale Of The Century, Today (and Business Today) and Good Morning Australia.

This is TV Week’s story on Seven Nightly News beginning in Melbourne with its new newsreaders Jennifer Keyte and Glenn Taylor. Keyte had signed up to Seven back in mid-1987 but the station decided to hold off launching her on-air until the news bulletin was to be relaunched which was probably a wise move.

This was the full-page newspaper ad that appeared on launch day:

As far as I know, Hinch At Seven debuted in Adelaide the same day as Melbourne, while Sydney kept TWT, Brisbane had its new Carroll At Seven, and TVW7 Perth had State Affair.

My recollection (FWIW) is that SAS7 began with Seven Nightly News immediately after its switch from Channel 10 in December 1987, and that SAS7 initially continued the one-hour news format that it had previously had at Ten even though the other Sevens were now standardising to a half-hour news.

And apparently A Current Affair was not to be the first choice of name for the show. Reports that Jana Wendt wanted it to be called Jana, in the same way that its predecessor was titled Willesee after its former host. But Nine wasn’t interested and as a compromise dusted off the ACA name, also amid some fears that Seven was planning to “pinch” it as the name for the new Hinch show.

Incidentally, 18 January was also the date that Seven launched its new evening soapie Sons And Daughters (1982-87), and later its cop drama Blue Heelers (1994-2006).

12 Likes

The Sun-Herald 17 January 1988 article about the new Seven Nightly News.

5 Likes

This is the Australia Post video presentation for this year’s Legend series

1 Like
1 Like

Just a question, how do the regional stations get around interference from adjacent areas as an example, Coonabarabran used to get stations from both NEN and CWN viewing areas?

1 Like

What did you mean by interference? Interference to reception or to their business?

1 Like

Might be talking about the spill coverage that was caused by NEN and CWN.

I’ll take a wild guess.

Perhaps the question resulted from an earlier post where I mentioned that people on the NSW border would have trouble receiving channel 7 and 9 from Brisbane because their local channels were 6 and 8.

Coonabarabran is served by the main Central Western Slopes transmitters on Mt Cenn Cruaich. The old analogue stations there were CBN6 (ex CWN) and ABQN11 - both requiring a vertically mounted antenna. The Mt Dowe transmitters were ABUN7 and NEN9 and these were horizontally polarised.

In this case the residents would have 6 and 11 as local and would be trying to receive NEN9 and wouldn’t care about the second ABC station. Therefore this combination of channels wouldn’t be a problem ie 6, 9 and 11. It is only adjacent channel numbers 6,7,8,9 that cause a problem (not 10 as there is a gap between 9 and 10). In addition having one set vertical and the other horizontal helps.

3 Likes

Yes, it didn’t seem to be a problem for Newcastle, whereby ECN8 Taree was available between ATN7 and TCN9 from Sydney.

But none of those were particularly strong signals here, and thus needing masthead amps to get a decent picture.

And the difference in polarity between Sydney and Taree would have helped too.