General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Regional SA news got to air also.

Guess all the networks were caught unprepared given the time and the fact this was such a massive event!

2 Likes

In Brisbane

Update - back to Presidential debates.

1 Like

Wow some people are real idiots. I have been following the Gable Tostee case, I have started studying law, and people’s comments on twitter are ridiculous. Too many people listen to what the media want you to believe. I have always been the kind of person who believes ‘innocent until proven guilty’ - which he wasn’t proven to be guilty. I am not doubting he was a jerk for locking her on the balcony and should be prosecuted for solely that, but comments on Twitter were ready to lock him up for the rest of his life.

Reports of tragedy at Dreamworld following accident on what is believed to be the Thunder River Rapids ride. At least two casualties believed.

Inconsistencies from Nine with the National bulletins reporting it occurred on the Buzzsaw (same ride that had mechanical issues last year) whilst Nine Gold Coast and most other news outlets are mentioning the Rapids.

EDIT: Ten have confirmed from sources that four persons have died. ABC is confirming three

Press conference due to start any minute

Has been pushed back. Yet to be confirmed

ABC News 24 quoted a Dreamworld statement confirming three deaths from the incident.

Lead story on the 4pm afternoon news on 7 and 9 with no break in the coverage yet. Seven have been showing watermarked helicopter shots, while Nine’s are watermark free. Seven was able to cross to the park immediately; while Nine reported from their news room

Crosses are apparently planned to BBC and NZ news.

1 Like

Terrible, terrible news. I even got a breaking news notification from the BBC News app.

Four persons confirmed deceased by Seven, Nine, Ten and ABC. Police to hold conference shortly.

I believe this is the first fatality for an Australian park since the Ghost Train fire at Luna Park in 1979

There seems to be just one helicopter over the area (currently going for re-fuelling by the look of this tracking)

More inconsistencies in Nine’s reporting, Carrie-anne Greenback mentioning that it’s a family ride, where anyone from the age of two can ride unaccompanied, whilst Michael Best reporting the same, except persons under two must be accompanied. I know it’s only a small detail, but surely some form of background check should be made to get the basics on these things.

1 Like

Nine are running promos with Andrew Lofthouse v.o about 3 people being killed despite their news reporting 4 deaths.

No surprises with Gold Coast local news

It is the first item on ABC News Victoria tonight. Ian Henderson crossed live to local reporter Josh Bavas outside Dreamworld.

A Current Affair covered the tragedy with a ACA reporter at Dreamworld.

Brisbane

And we now cross live to the other side of the car park

Making headlines here in Europe too. Shocking news. I loved going to Dreamworld as a kid.