General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Also included was journalist Greg Sheridan (I mentioned him in News Corp Australia thread).

The results of the UK’s referendum on its membership of the European Union are being counted, and it’s looking more likely than not that it will leave the European Union.

BBC has turned of its geo-restrictions and you can watch its stream here - http://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36559505

Update: BBC forecast’s the UK will leave the EU.

Buy a holiday to the UK now if you want to take advantage of a weak pound.

Both BBC and ITV calling it, currently 48/52 in favour of Leave

Sky News Australia taking the UK version. No Aussie content atm, which is a wise choice.

I really enjoyed the BBC’s coverage today.

Just noticed that ABC News 24 is showing BBC World News, after previously showing a presser with Chris(t) Bowen.

1 Like

TV Forum UK is down, so I’ll leave my observation here.

BBC News from Salford have returned to using the 2008-2013 background on their news bulletins which were used in their old TC7 studio in Television Centre.

1 Like

NASA TV now showing a successful result for the Juno space probe - now in orbit around Jupiter.

NSW Premier Mike Baird has announced greyhound racing will be banned in the state from July 1 next year, due to serious issues with animal cruelty.

4 Likes

Given the last 2 posts just a reminder that this is not a thread to post random news headlines, it is to discuss media coverage of news events that don’t warrant having their own thread. Thanks :sunglasses:

1 Like

I agree and understand the sentiment of the post but don’t see how it applies to the post I made as it contains a link to media coverage of a news event (which was the point of the post).

reports that 4 police officers have been killed by snipers in Dallas at black lives matter protests. could develop into a big story.

ABC has just updated their ticker

Quite powerful footage of officers down aired live on Fox News (warning).

Not sure which is the best thread to post this in, but here’s a segment of a feed I caught covering the police shootings in Texas.

The reporter is arguing with the camera operator about being out of focus leading to the camera operator telling the reporter “Don’t talk to me”. Things escalate when the reporter tells the camera operator to “shut up” and ultimately, the camera operator cuts him off in the middle of recording and tells the reporter “You’re done!”:

The reporter responds “ARE YOU CRAZY?” “This is going to be huge trouble for you!”.

What has always amazed me about the Germans is how good their English is.

I genuinely can’t figure out who is in the wrong here. I mean, the reporter is mid-sentence when the cameraman says ‘you’re done’, but the reporter also wasted a ton of time faffing on about focus.

1 Like

Sunrise reporting 75 dead after a terror attack in Nice, France on Bastille Day.

BBC reporting 70 dead, 100 injured. ABC News 24 doing their own coverage but occasionally dipping into the BBC World News simulcast. Today sans Extra is ploughing on past 10am, as is Sunrise. Sky News Au and Fox News taking Sky News UK.

1 Like

First on 7, First on 9 - who to believe?

Plus on Ten with same video!

2 Likes

I find it amazing how petty the Australia commercial news networks are in this regard compared to US or Canadian networks. Sure, they get exclusive stories also, but they don’t slap massive watermarks and graphics across half the screen.

2 Likes

Lester Holt from NBC News has tweeted

Currently just seems to be a social media news event as I haven’t seen any TV coverage.