General News Events - Coverage Discussion

I couldn’t resist the novelty of Captain Kirk being blasted into space at 90 and I was interested in the Australian engineer. It did reek of a being a publicity stunt and I’m not all that comfortable with the billionaire space race thing either. There must be better ways to help humanity and leave your legacy.

I’m a bit conflicted about it - I really like the engineering and science aspects of exploring space (and the flow-on effects), but we seem to be barrelling down the road towards not being content with trashing the planet we live on and to trash other parts of the solar system as well. I don’t feel comfortable with the idea that we’ve abandoned space as being a Government (or inter-Government) activity and we’ve opened it to members of the three comma club who simply want to spend their money

Elon’s StarLink is a great idea, but its just creating a shit load more space junk

Why can’t these billionaires have a dick measuring contest over who can build the most housing for the homeless? Or for who can help the most people rebuild their lives? Or who can build the most efficient public mass transit? Literally anything that could help the people?

Instead, we got Bezos ejecting himself into space in a penis rocket.

4 Likes

Sydney wet weather:

6 Likes

Fairly frightening situation in Beirut right now. Coverage on AJ and BBC.

1 Like

i24 has shown some shocking live footage too

1 Like

How do you watch i24?

1 Like

Watching via Flash

EDIT - Some scenes via Al Jazeera:

2 Likes

Nine News Perth special coverage - Cleo Smith found. 20,800 watching the live stream on Facebook

5 Likes

That is the 11:30 am AEDT Morning news out of Sydney.

4 Likes

Caps:

4 Likes

How CNN international reported the news

4 Likes

The high quality of Nine’s journalism has been recognised at the prestigious 2021 Kennedy Awards, with journalists across its publishing, television and online divisions winning 11 awards in a glittering ceremony last night.

Journalists from The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, The Australian Financial Review, 60 Minutes, 9News and 9news.com.au received recognition for their excellence in reporting, in what has been another huge news year.

9News US correspondent Amelia Adams led the charge, taking out the coveted Harry Potter Award for Outstanding TV News Reporting and the Tom Krause Award for Outstanding Foreign Correspondent.

9News.com.au collected the Outstanding Online News Breaking award, while 60 Minutes’ Liz Hayes, Gareth Harvey and Natalie Clancy took out the Paul Lockyer Award for Outstanding Regional Broadcast Journalism.

Mastheads The Sydney Morning Herald , The Age and Financial Review collected a total of seven Kennedys, with the Herald ’s Natassia Chrysanthos crowned Young Journalist of the Year.

She was joined by Herald colleagues Lucy Cormack and Kate McClymont who were awarded Outstanding Court & Legal Affairs Reporting, Louise Kennerley took out the Outstanding News Photograph, and Cathy Wilcox awarded the Outstanding Illustration/Cartoon, while Damien Ractliffe from The Age was awarded Racing Writer of the Year.

The Australian Financial Review ’s Michael Roddan was awarded Outstanding Finance Reporting, while Angus Grigg and Lap Phan were recognised for their investigative reporting in The Sure Thing with the Outstanding Podcast award.

The Sydney Morning Herald acting editor Cosima Marriner said: “The Herald’s success at the Kennedy Awards is testament to the depth, breadth and quality of our journalism. These awards recognise the Herald’s excellence in reporting, photography and cartoons. We are especially pleased that Natassia Chrysanthos’s outstanding work on consent has seen her named young journalist of the year.”

The Age deputy editor Michael Bachelard said: “Since joining The Age as its chief racing reporter, Damien has gone beyond the daily coverage and dived deep into where racing and criminal activity have crossed paths, notably on the Darren Weir saga and stories about the Jarrod McLean EPO syringes. He is a worthy recipient of this award.”

Financial Review editor-in-chief Michael Stutchbury and editor Paul Bailey said: “These awards for outstanding journalism by AFR journalists were well deserved. Michael Roddan’s ground breaking reporting on sexual harassment at AMP rocked the foundations one of Australia’s oldest financial institutions. It was fearless investigative reporting at its very best from a highly accomplished young journalist. The Sure Thing podcast by Angus Grigg and Lap Phan is a grippingly-told narrative that detailed the untold story of how two friends hatched a crime and how they were caught.”

9Network’s Director of News and Current Affairs Darren Wick said: “The two awards that Amelia Adams won is a tribute to her professionalism and experience while reporting under fire, from the middle of the mob alongside cameraman Nick Richardson, during the terrifying scenes of the Washington DC Capitol riots. Liz Hayes, Gareth Harvey and Natalie Clancy’s powerful investigation into Australia’s broken regional health system was deeply personal for Liz.”

9Network Digital Editorial Director Kerri Elstub said: “This is incredibly well-deserved recognition for the 9news.com.au team, which has been pushed so hard covering the COVID-19 pandemic over the last 18 months. Breaking news is what we are all about and this means so much to our talented and hard-working team of editors, reporters, video and social media producers.”

Nine’s full list of winners of the 2021 Kennedy Awards:

The Harry Potter Award for Outstanding TV News Reporting

Amelia Adams – 9News

The Tom Krause Award Outstanding Foreign Correspondent

Amelia Adams – 9News

Young Journalist of the Year

Natassia Chrysanthos -The Sydney Morning Herald

The Paul Lockyer Award Outstanding Regional Broadcast Journalism

Liz Hayes, Gareth Harvey, Natalie Clancy -60 Minutes, 9

The Rod Allen Award Racing Writer of the Year

Damien Ractliffe – The Age

Outstanding News Photograph

Louise Kennerley -The Sydney Morning Herald

The Vince O’Farrell Award Outstanding Illustration/Cartoon

Cathy Wilcox -The Sydney Morning Herald

Outstanding Finance Reporting

Michael Roddan -The Australian Financial Review

Outstanding Court & Legal Affairs

Lucy Cormack, Kate McClymont -The Sydney Morning Herald

Outstanding Online News Breaking

9News.com.au

Outstanding Podcast

Angus Grigg, Lap Phan –The Australian Financial Review

1 Like

Coverage of media conference in Tasmania this morning. Seven was late to take the coverage.

4 Likes

Surprised they didn’t use the red breaking news supers.

So did only ABC and 10 take it live?

And is the new ‘LIVE’ ‘Happening Now’?

1 Like

Taking these press conferences live really highlights the daylight savings time delays for markets like QLD. 9, for example, crashed into a Today news update to bring the Tassie presser and I’d assume all metro stations are about to crash again to the Premier’s ‘major announcement’ which was scheduled for 8.45.

1 Like

It was live on all in AEDT markets only. However, as mentioned Seven was about a minute behind in taking the presser.

2 Likes

Haven’t watched much of the TV coverage but I did see this morning’s presser on Facebook but we’re trying to shelter the kids and also protect ourselves but I do have to make mention of the ABC local radio coverage.

This morning ABC Northern Tasmania breakfast had several interviews and stories but helpful ones like counselling and support and coping with grief. I believe the statewide mornings had similar coverage and then the afternoon program before the cricket coverage was meant to be the final one for the year I feel and essentially it was an unplanned afternoon. All the planning was out the window and it was made a time for people to text or call in or to choose the direction of things. I didn’t hear much but it was a slow paced program if that makes any sense but it was for empathy.

Later on my way home from work I came in halfway through an interview with a grief counsellor and I thought it was a specific one for us and was impressed but it was actually a national one in the PM program. It was all very much appreciated, while the news bulletins had the facts which are still hard to hear, the programming allowed us to grieve and to support each other/feel supported/find where to seek further support.

6 Likes

Hope you are doing ok mate @ando9185

2 Likes

Thanks, doing alright today… so far. We had a big pre-Christmas breakfast planned this morning for a few friends and we wondered yesterday if we needed to pull the pin or not but everyone wanted to do it still to keep going and to have some joy still.
We’re also off to parkrun beforehand because one of the children killed had been attending there so they’ve asked everyone to come down and dress in teal as her favourite colour so I think today life will start to feel a little easier and normal for a while as the shock is subsiding.

2 Likes