I’m missing it…can you clue me in?

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Bob Hawke 1929-2019

Theresa May to resign June 7.

1 Like

Part of her speech

1 Like

Honestly didn’t know where else to put this

Was watching a good (but tragically sad) doco last night on the 1999 Columbine High School massacre in the US, where two seniors (still minors) killed 11 students and 1 teacher, also injuring dozens more. The first major incident of its kind.

I was young at the time and barely remember it, some here wouldn’t at all, but many here probably would.

Anyone recall the Australian media coverage? Reaction? Aftermath? Especially with our own massacre (non-school) just a few years earlier in Tassie. Tried to find caps or videos online from local coverage but failed go find anything.

Such a devastating incident that certainly for the US changed US laws and school procedures, as well as the way the world looks youth mental health and crime.

1 Like

14 posts were split to a new topic: Darwin Shooting

US State Visit to the UK- Just interesting to see all the different styles of graphics for the same footage.

vlcsnap-2019-06-04-23h13m57s903

4 Likes

One more for the collection:

5 Likes

Someone is in trouble.

1 Like

All reasons why media involvement in trials is becoming increasingly dangerous of harming the justice system. The amount this costs tax payers is absolutely ridiculous. Something needs to be done with the media and the way they report.

Often you hear from the media such and such has asked the court to do such and such tests which is costing the taxpayer. Never do you hear when they are the reason behind the court costs.

3 Likes

Nine News reporting it is a “local” TV network. So it seems not metro Nine, Seven or Ten?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, Bethan Yeoman is a Nine regional reporter.

Now I could be wrong but it’d seem unlikely that someone from Nine would be pointing out a prejudicial report if it was from them (especially since the Nine News Western Victoria/Central Victoria accounts have retweeted it), which of course leaves…

yes it was win , the local paper in ballarat the courier just had it as breaking news and named win the local tv network

2 Likes

The problem with the media is that is reports in a way that is favourable to the cause that the respective media outlet is sympathetic to. This behaviour often results in reckless reporting by media outlets. Look at how many litigation cases there have been in recent years including more recently the Geoffrey Rush defamation case.

In the case of the Darwin rampage, the media is reporting about how he was just released on bail after breaching bail - the breach was missing curfew by less than an hour - most media outlets omit this fact and we dont know the exact cause of the rampage - speculation is drugs and a woman - but this may not be as cut and dry as that - considering the fact he was apprehended for the minor breach.

Media outlets are not balanced and the media outlets are to blame - dont blame the reporter - the networks have editors to ensure they dont cause problems like this - releasing evidence that is prejudicial.

Media “involvement”. You mean… reporting??!

Shocking!

I have seen cases where there is clear involvement in the way they report…

The media often want a certain verdict to help sell a story.

1 Like