Game of Thrones

GAME OF THRONES SMASHES RECORDS! SEASON 6 PREMIERE THE MOST WATCHED PROGRAM IN AUSTRALIAN SUBSCRIPTION TELEVISION HISTORY

The premiere episode of Game of Thrones season 6, which aired on Foxtel’s showcase channel on Monday, April 25 has broken Australian Subscription Television records, making it the most watched program in Australian Subscription Television history.

Episode 1 achieved a total audience of 727,000, 31% larger than season 5, claiming the biggest single day audience in Australian Subscription Television history – and topping the record previously held by the FOX SPORTS with the 2011 Rugby World Cup Semi Final between Australia and New Zealand (16 October 2011: 719,000 overnight audience).

“This is an absolutely incredible result and beyond our expectations. It doesn’t yet include all of the catch-up viewing from the Foxtel iQ, which will count when we calculate the cumulative audience for the week. When you include those figures, as well as encores across the week, we’re forecasting the first episode will absolutely top over 1 million viewers, a phenomenal result by any measure!” said Foxtel’s Executive Director of Television, Brian Walsh.

First episode was great. Set the season up so well.

2 Likes

I was glad we got to see a lot, if not most, of the central characters. Very good start.

I am not going to talk about the plot of the episode but does anyone think Daenerys will ever make it back to Kings Landing? Everytime I think she gets closer she takes one step back. Surely they will end the show on a massive battle between the Danny and whoever, at that time, is the King.

1 Like

I hope so! As you said, one step forward two steps back. I hope her story changes dramatically this season.

1 Like

Perhaps she has found the right ally.

1 Like

Don’t think so, the Dothraki want her to go back to their city with the other widows, and I doubt they will change their minds and help some random ex-Khalessi invade Westeros.

I’m much more excited about the storyline in the North. We’ve got Ramsey on edge and about to potentially go crazy, we’ve got Pod and Lesbian reunited with Reek and Sansa, the Onion Knight has a deadline before something major happens, and the Red Woman could still revive Jon. All the while we’ve got whitewalkers somewhere waiting to flood South.

I was disappointed to see the Dorne storyline back. The Sisters (or whatever they were called) are back with all their cringeworthy stuff from last season (“you’re such a bitch” - really?).

2 Likes

I did enjoy the comedy routine at the Dothraki camp - " Seeing a beautiful woman naked for the first time is among the five best things in life". Very Pythonesque and the Spanish Inquisition sketch :grinning:

In the US, this season’s GoT rated lower than the previous year but was still the number on Sunday program. That is for the original HBO broadcast but when the 2 later replays on the day are added it is being reported as “a same-day record for the show”. The first broadcast rated 4.0 for 18-49 and 7.94 million viewers

[quote=“turdall, post:23, topic:557”]
does anyone think Daenerys will ever make it back to Kings Landing? Everytime I think she gets closer she takes one step back. [/quote]

I’m tired of Dany being bogged down over there. It’s time she got her act together and made a big move. We’ve waited long enough.

Drogon looked injured and possibly dying the last we saw of him. Hope he’s okay.

[quote=“matlock, post:26, topic:557”]
Don’t think so, the Dothraki want her to go back to their city with the other widows, and I doubt they will change their minds and help some random ex-Khalessi invade Westeros.[/quote]

No doubt she’ll escape or be rescued or released at some point. A minor delay I’d say.

2 Likes

Yes same. I assume that the show will end with the final battle between Daenery’s and Kings Landing.

Cumulative audience for Game of Thrones season 6 premiere tops 1.2 million

The final numbers are in and history has been made with the premiere episode of Game of Thrones season 6 achieving a landmark 1,224,000 viewers, claiming the biggest audience in Australian Subscription TV history across sport and non-sport programming. The premiere aired on Foxtel’s showcase channel on Monday, April 25.

The cumulative audience comprises live viewing, time-shifted playback and viewing via Foxtel Anytime over the first seven days that follow the initial premiere broadcast.

The initial overnight numbers for episode 1 achieved a total audience of 727,000, 31% larger than season 5, claiming the biggest single day audience in Australian Subscription Television history. At 1,224,000, the cumulative audience for episode 1 maintained the pace and exceeded the season 5 opener’s cumulative audience by 33%.

1 Like

Great episode today. Really enjoyable. No spoilers here but I think we are starting to see how this show might end.

2 Likes

Yes, a very enjoyable episode. A sure way to get yourself into big trouble is to treat Dany like a weak and helpless female. They are the best scenes.

1 Like

According to the Hollywood Reporter, a new Game of Thrones Cluedo board game was released in the US on Monday (it’s called just Clue there). I saw somewhere that the game would be available in Australia by the end of this month through local distributor Winning Moves. If you can’t wait, you can try placing an order with the HBO Shop or online board game shops in America.

Mildly amusing yet potentially accurate video from producers of GoT.

2 Likes

Yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if ‘Hodor’ becomes standard for door-holding.

1 Like

Just like this behind the scenes video involving the cast of Neighbours.
Neighbours Facebook

Interesting to see Iain Glen with a prominent role in the ABS’c Cleverman where he plays a billionaire owner of a TV network, Channel 8 .

Loved the ending of episode 8, with Arya slicing the candle. The Waif had spent all that time training Arya to fight while blinded, so in the dark Arya finally had the advantage.

3 Likes

I’ve got a feeling the next 2 episodes will be massive.

1 Like