Future of regional affiliate branding

I would have to agree with the comments regarding people just saying “Ten” instead of “Southern Cross Ten”…

In fact, the only time I ever hear anyone say “Southern Cross Ten” is during their cross-promotion on SCA run radio stations. Everyone else just says “Ten”.

Also, because we already have “channel 7” and “channel 10”, pretty much everyone says “channel 9” instead of “WIN” in my part of QLD anyway, so it really won’t be much of a transition when the metro networks take over in this part of the world I don’t think.

When I lived in Rockhampton, I heard the locals who lived there a long time refer to RTQ as “WIN”. I haven’t met anyone who still refers to RTQ by ‘Channel 7’ though!

I think as long as there is still a ‘local news bulletin’ for the community and a sense of relevance, a branding change won’t be as painful as becoming just a glorified retransmitter of the metro stations.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

Thanks for the lol…reminded me of CNNNNN. But Chasers are for another topic.

When living in Orange NSW, I heard a few oldies say “CBN” as opposed to Prime. But I think the good majority of people would refer to the regional networks as 7, 9 or 10. I know many of my friends in Townsville referred to and still refer to them as 7, 9 and 10.

I agree… retention of local news will be the key to any branding changes.

TDT or Tasmanian Digital Television.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Audience Reach, Ownership Control and Local Content

I figured out the only way for a second affiliate swap to happen is for SCA to become a Seven affiliate in the affected regions (prior, WIN and SCA would decide to add two years to their current affiliation deals) so the Nine News bulletins would survive.

Nightly News > 7 Canberra anyone?

How would this work? Who would Prime/GWN be affiliated with?

1 Like

They would be affiliated with sca then in then would be just be called 7

1 Like

I am surprised Nine and SCA havent tried doing a swap NBN and NNSW for SCA9 Canberra and SNSW (formerly CTC7 and SNSW)

1 Like

You’d probably see either SCA buy NBN or Nine buy SCA’s 9 stations (TNQ, CTC, GLV/BCV), and either Seven or Prime acquiring the 7 stations (TNT, GTS/BKN, QQQ/ITQ, TND) rather than a swap.

Having said that, I’d like to see someone new come in and refresh the regional TV sector, putting new impetus into appropriate local and regional content and work with the networks to ensure it’s properly carried out and funded - as in, reduce the amount they pay to the networks and allow time for opting out of the network schedule.

But I can’t see that happening because Australian television is run by fuckwits.

6 Likes

NBN has a bigger potential audience and rates higher than CTC, so I can understand why Nine has held onto NBN.

2 Likes

Hasn’t it been declining? I recall it being posted here last year that Prime7 finally won the ‘news battle’ or something

In some of the NNSW markets, yes. In the biggest one, Newcastle, it’s still NBN (IIRC). Whether or not they’re using all markets as one big number, I’m not sure.

5 Likes

It was in 2017 that Prime7 Local News had an historic ratings victory over NBN News in the Northern Rivers market.

Not sure how they went in 2018 though, although personally I suspect NBN might’ve beaten them since there was no press release issued by the Prime Media Group last year in relation to the ratings battle for local news in the Northern Rivers region (one suspects they would’ve put one out if they won two years in a row).

3 Likes

why would they?

2 Likes

9 smashed them. 2017 was a load of crap too when you read deeper into the releases.

In Lismore and Coffs, plus Tamworth and Taree, it’s game on this year. 9 is winning a lot more of those areas than they used to. And weekends absolutely smashes 7.

2 Likes

If they wanted to consolidate their resources and takeover another mainland capital city (also noting Canberra being the nations capital), but I can see there are valid points against it too

I’m sure Nine would love the opportunity to own & operate their SNSW/ACT station, but only if the price was right and absolutely not at the expense of the more populated (and higher rating overall) Northern NSW.

3 Likes

Because Seven has had such a stranglehold on regional Australia for so long (wiping the floor in all but one market), it was that market that peaked interest when it was announced Prime7 had made gains, whether it just be news or more, I’m not over the ins/outs, I don’t follow regional ratings on a daily basis and not many seem to care anyway.

So in that regard, Nine wouldn’t want to see declines or losses in Northern NSW.

It has been indicative this year with MKR for example (until a couple of weeks ago maybe) consistently beating Married, across regional Australia, by quite a bit. But it’s polar opposite in metro.

2 Likes