Future of radio

I think the article actually explains what GM are proposing with a native OS quite well. They see Android Auto and Apple Car Play as a stepping stone but not the end goal. That’s what I think too.

1 Like

My Mazda 2 didn’t originally have Apple CarPlay,lucky the factory sound system it has was able to be upgraded.CarPlay is just as good as having a DAB radio,I have plenty of listening options.

4 Likes

Don’t know if it’ll get up, but further to my last post about the removal of AM radio from cars, an AM radio for every car Act has been introduced to the US congress, with support from the FCC & the NAB ( same as our CRA), more info here: https://radioink.com/2023/05/17/am-for-every-vehicle-act-introduced-in-congress/?vgo_ee=s4ah5LZNDMV%2FPxrbaITuy8BfJW%2BetQEskNJxsBdcOqqBxH%2FLs1I%3D%3A67mAJhdTxQk1%2BshRNIWDBG9OmmdGx2%2F%2B&fbclid=IwAR330tlLzoC7owvMVTOYmUzv426vMQmqYzv3as25xAUIMo5uM3tOMa9Vuz8

6 Likes

If you wanted to be pro-consumer, require each car to ship with a DIN slot that is correctly wired to allow an aftermarket headunit, both for providing an option for the inevitability of the shift to those stupid large screens resulting in near unusable functionality after software updates stop and none of the services work; and choice of radio reception options.

3 Likes

Ford have backflipped on removing AM radio from their cars, they will reinstall AM to cars not yet delivered & to existing EV’s that don’t currently have AM radio they will do a online software update & turn AM radio on.
https://www.insideradio.com/free/ford-reverses-course-will-keep-am-radio-in-its-vehicles/article_e73541f2-f97f-11ed-ab19-b3f3c48aebe7.html?fbclid=IwAR2B17dQTkASN9VQ9eTTBL6JNTGkbodi5ef1aJvqXNYFBsIX2w2qMG2xZio

6 Likes

Excellent news!

AM still has a purpose other bands can’t fulfil, particularly in country areas.

5 Likes

Is it true an EV causes too much interference for AM or this is an excuse? If i ever get to ride in an EV must bring a pocket am radio and compare to a petrol car.

2 Likes

So the circuitry was always there for AM radio, they’ve just disabled it?! Seems even poorer form than simply not providing for it at all

3 Likes

Maybe it was there to add in some kind of bundled technology subscription plan at some point, like BMW tried to do with Apple CarPlay (ie. charge an annual subscription for something that should be free).

3 Likes

One of the ongoing issues is the quantity of music that can’t be played on the radio, but which is freely available on streaming sources.

So, a significant group of teens and young adults looks for their music elsewhere. After a while, even if they like a certain morning show or other program, they just don’t come back.

THE problem facing all music formats today.

1 Like