Future of radio

Many DAB+ radios do not include AM radio as well I noticed which I think is a mistake

3 Likes

Just not renewing a bunch of HPONs and the “Community” stations that are quasi-commerical would free up enough to shift the remaining high power AMs to FM.

I’d also suggest that some AMs need to convert in a multi-frequency setup rather than a single high power covering the whole market, which might also assist in giving them a comparative disadvantage compared to existing high power FMs who have only had 30-40 years to benefit from paying for their FM licenses…

Still - I don’t think it’s that much of a problem - every car which is coming without an AM tuner likely has a way of tethering to data and streaming audio. Just accepting that the next “nbn” that Australia needs is a genuinely nationwide mobile network, rather than just the towers that are economical to cover, and certainly not just another attempt at throwing money at the existing carriers to hope they’ll do it themselves.

1 Like

While I firmly believe we’ll need to transition away from AM (and with increasing urgency) for the majority of services, I do feel there is an argument for keeping (and even expanding) the 50kw AM ABC Local Radio network. They play a vital role in providing information during natural disasters and in remote areas are often the only services available. Being able to get a signal from transmitters further away could also be a lifesaver in situations where an entire region has lost local services due to a disaster.
Perhaps set aside, say 531khz to 792khz (and maybe 1503-1602 for tropical areas) for these ABC services and hand the rest of the band over to other uses (maybe defence?).

As far as freeing up FM spectrum goes, if we have a big push on DAB+ and have it covering, say, 90-95% of the population at home (by expanding to most regional areas) and enforce a buyback scheme for HPON and non-generalist community licences (with funding to support a move to DAB+) this should be quite doable.

3 Likes

Good luck buying any sort of clock radio or home stereo tuner with AM included anywhere.

I understand the argument that in some regional areas you get a lot more coverage with AM - but what is the point of that if nobody has the receivers which can pick up AM?

1 Like

They aren’t doing that though. Doesn’t the Tesla 3 already not have AM?

1 Like

Yeah but also because the batteries csuse too much interference with AM reception i believe.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I heard. Although some EV’s do still manage to include AM. But over time as EV sales continue to increase, fewer and fewer cars will have AM.

1 Like

The article says that AM radios will even be removed from some non-EV new vehicles.

1 Like

I’m not surprised in the US, where most/all cars in the last decade or so would have HD Radio decoders (not to mention Sirius XM ones, but that’s a sidetrack), and many AM stations (esp. of the big conglomerates like Audacy, iHeart et al) have been finding their way to FM (via translator or takeover) or HD Radio subchannel.

On the other hand, a select few AM stations went to digital-only operation and I can’t imagine that being any more than a dead-end for them, despite the bump in quality.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, here in Australia, many cars have DAB+ receivers, most AM stations in the state capitals are on DAB+, while many AM commercial stations in regional areas are moving to FM.

So the same pressures may happen here too.

1 Like

Yes true.

One difference is that AM operators here, apart from BOG, don’t seem to push hard for FM translators to service parts of the licence area. It’s extremely common in the US and AM stations really push their FM frequencies hard as a way of surviving. BOG does it here, but apart from them there’s not many who do. 6iX in Perth and 4TAB in Brisbane have FM translators, but surely there are plenty of others who could apply and have them granted. Stations that spring to mind are 4BU Bundaberg, it always seems to me that their AM signal barely covers their licence area. In the cities, as the AM signals degrade further due to interference, surely there are stations that could request low-powered FM translators in certain areas. BOG seems to have no trouble getting them approved, so why aren’t others at least trying?

3 Likes

Where does 4BU need a translator at? They’ll probably wait for the FM conversions now anyway.

And one that I’m very surprised that still isn’t on air is Sea/Mix at Noosa. Zinc and Hot got theirs on pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Been busy with other things so haven’t had a chance to reply.

Ford dropping AM & other car manufactures doing the same may not happen, their data on the number of listeners is flawed according to what US stations are saying & the interference reason is also flawed, as it’s not hard to protect against that electrical interference & an ICE car’s ignition will make more noise than an EV motor & they’ve been successfully inhibiting that noise into AM radio for decades, it’s just an excuse to put cheap poor quality radio receivers into the cars.

There’s a big kick up about it in the USA, with many complaints from AM stations & listeners, the FCC have an enquiry going at the moment, the US Congress are also getting in on it (stopping it from happening) & may legislate to force manufactures to keep AM radio in cars.

Some good info about it all here: https://i1430.com/local-free-am-broadcast-radio-needs-your-support/

On another note but along the same lines, I believe from next year or 2025 all General Motors vehicles won’t have Apple Car play in them, they’re planning for some “in house” software for their in car entertainment system, not sure if Tesla’s have Apple car play & Android auto in them now?

6 Likes

Interesting. I’m not surprised GM and probably other car companies could drop Apple Car Play and Android Auto and create their own. I think it would actually be a great thing, and improve the usability. The phone pairing thing is fiddly and annoying. Some cars already have SIMs in built so just do it natively in-car rather than fiddle about with Apple or Android.

3 Likes

I doubt creating more bespoke entertainment platform(s) specifically for cars is going to get much support from developers for related apps.

And if you use a car SIM for mobile connectivity, that may mean an extra data plan you have to pay for?

And I’ve never had any trouble with pairing, Android Auto works well for me, except for if i want to change radio stations in my Mazda on the car radio when I’m using Google Maps. You have to exit out of AA and go back in again, it’s too fiddly with the limited controls they give you.

3 Likes

They’re talking removing it from EVs at the moment; the replacement is a customised variation of Android (with Google’s services included), so the experience may not be too dissimilar to those using Android Auto (admittedly, they may be in the minority in places like the US, compared to iPhone users).

On the other hand… it also provides new ways to charge for things, or at least not providing a way to avoid the interfaces that can charge for things. Certainly some manufacturers do that already with other interfaces (Toyota comes to mind with charging for remote lock/unlock after a certain time period)… those are what the likes of GM, Ford, et al would be licking their lips over.

4 Likes

Plus you still need to be able to have an interface to the driver’s phone anyway. Sort of defeats the purpose of bypassing the phone.

1 Like

The beauty of CarPlay (and android auto) is that it’s a universal experience no matter what car you jump into.

Definitely would reconsider purchasing a car that doesn’t support either moving forward

4 Likes

Same here - also needs to have DAB.

4 Likes

And I think it would have an adverse impact on resale if you buy a car now that does NOT have either or (preferably) both AA and Carplay as well as DAB+.

1 Like