Friday 17 March 2023

Don’t forget that Hot Seat in at 5pm on the East Coast, 4pm in Adelaide and 3pm in Perth where we see Tipping Point at 4pm.

Once the numbers dip on the East Coast further more, then Nine will be worried.

As for 10’s ratings last night - against the AFL and NRL, and ABC’s popular Gardening Australia - ouch! They certainly need new content, instead of “the Best of The Graham Norton Show” and endless repeats of other shows. To help them boost their shares up a little. It’s not gonna beat the AFL and Nine, but at least get to a more respected share.

Wait really? I didn’t realise Tipping Point was at 4PM in Perth??
Nine should jump on doing a local version of the show.

1 Like

Lets call out the elephant in the room.

Ten 5.2%

Apparently its all just part of a strategy that I dont understand?

Ten need to move with the 9pm News asap.

I also have the solution to the 6.30pm timeslot because they need to fix this

Unless they can find something really compelling that will appeal to the people that arent interested in watching the footy, they’re going to post poor Friday numbers for the next 24 or so weeks.

2 Likes

I’m not completely convinced that a 9PM bulletin would be the success for Ten that you think it might be. Their news brand seems to be damaged from all of the cutbacks and it would take many, many years to turn that back around. Still, I would love to be convinced otherwise.

After seeing some of your other “solutions” in the past, I’m loathed to ask what this next one could be.

2 Likes

You also need to take into account the demo group that 10 is targeting. For example, last Friday ABC’s Endeavour had 394,000 and ranked 7th overall as the top entertainment show of the night. However in 25-54, 10’s top performer the Taskmaster encore at 8.30pm that was outside the top 20 in total people ranked 11th with 3 times the audience of Endeavour that ranked 30th.

3 Likes

So… The Front Bar?

1 Like

Explain how this would be profitable.
Give us an outline of the production costs, content and required audience to generate ad revenue to outweigh the costs.

2 Likes

The reason the 9pm news would work is because it would at least be competitive every night.

On a big news day, it would win.

Interesting that Ten’s only show in the Top 20 last night was the 5pm News.

The 6.30pm slot is a tricky one to solve. I will reveal the solution tomorrow but it is going to make the heads of the woke brigade explode because it is a new direction for Ten

How can you guarantee this? If Nine and Seven schedule MAFS/MKR/whatever to run until 9.15pm what is going to make viewers switch to 10 at 9pm? Also, assuming it is a national bulletin, what is 10 News at 9pm going to offer me that watching the 6pm Seven or Nine News on catch up services can’t?

3 Likes

That’s a good question.

You cant control what the other networks will do, however there is not always going to be a show like MAFS that controls the audience the way it does

What does it offer you that 6pm doesn’t? I would argue that a lot of people are not home by 6pm to watch the news.

However it can’t be a rehash. It has to be either re edited or an updated version of a story on the 6pm news. Or better still, a breaking news story.

Nine are always promoting “Breaking News” throughout their nightly programs.

It also has to be state editions, not national.

You need to show your working on this one - there is very little evidence that I can see that suggests that a news service from a broadcaster that is doing very little in that space is going to magically attract viewers, not to mention that it locks them into odd programming timing (which will make it difficult to get people to switch over to Ten)

Would it? For a lot of viewers - Ten basically doesn’t have a news service because it has no presence outside of an early evening timeslot or during the day when people are doing other things, people won’t see Ten as the channel to go-to to get their news.

Ten’s already running their news services on the smell of an oily rag - this just adds complexity and significant cost.

On big news days, people turn to the sources they know and trust. 10 just don’t have the same draw as 7, 9, and the ABC on big news, and that isn’t going to magically turn around with a late bulletin.

Updating a story for a late bulletin would be needed at a minimum, and not a point of difference. To be honest though, how many stories are going to have late details that require a re-edit? Most stories have run their course by the 6pm news cycle, so there would be no real point to make another version of the story with exactly the same information.

As for breaking news, you can’t bank on it every night. And again, if the story is big enough, people will turn to other sources before they turn to 10.

10 barely has 5 local bulletins at their flagship 5pm slot, and even then it is only 5 nights a week. If they did introduce a late bulletin, it would either be fully national, or at best have a local late bulletin for Perth.

If that is the case, why does anyone tune into a 10,30pm late news?

Stories are always breaking because the news cycle is 24-7

There is no tv news service at 9pm (even on Sky) so there is a huge opportunity to carve a niche and own this space.

Do you have a better idea for Ten at 9pm?

Ten is running their news service on the smell of an oily rag?

Because they pay millions for Lisa Wilkinson to do nothing.

Which leaves you with a potential audience of… 25.5 million people

ABC Nightly News on ABC News says hi

Perfect. Which is why a commerical version is even more viable

Because I’m sure Ten could find an audience for a 6:30pm sports panel show among the 1.5 million kids under 5 :roll_eyes:

The point is that no one gives a shit about a 6pm Friday NRL game.

Any replacement for The Project - be it Fridays only or in totality - needs to be given time to bed into the timeslot. There’s no quick fix that will see Ten shoot up to #1 overnight.

Too often the mock schedulers amongst us think that ‘one more tweak’ will fix things. If Ten is profitable, why would Paramount change things?