Foxtel

It’s arguably the best way to watch Fox Sports (except for Foxtel 4k). Kayo is 1080p @ 50Fps

4 Likes

When we still had a Kayo subscription we the AFL on a 4K 55" TV, and the 1080p stream looked fantastic.

3 Likes

The reality is that the vast majority of News Corp Australia is worth very little, it has been fairly rapidly a collection of “junk” that you’d be lucky to get scrap price for - I was surprised that they kept Foxtel as part of NCA and didnt offload it to 21CF

4 Likes

The Wall Street Journal is highly profitable and valuable. The Times/The Sunday Times have unfortunately been tainted by being owned by News Corp.

2 Likes

Is “Streamotion” that they use for Binge/Kayo a separate enough company? Is the idea you load up “Foxtel” with debt, then sink it and Streamotion can carry on with these different streaming options?

Streamotion is wholly owned by Foxtel - spinning it off would more than likely require further deals to be done for content

4 Likes

Problem with that there are still customers who are still using these boxes. Not a good to to piss off those customers.

Problemnwith that is streaming rights etc. So no it can’t do that.

1 Like
1 Like

well they will have to do something. they cant sustain the way they atm forever. esp since there in so much debt. unless they do streaming only the only way is if someone buys them out

Foxtel is a completely different business model to a steamer.

Netflix employs like 6 people in Australia, Foxtel around 1600

Are we all sure we want Foxtel ro become a Netflix?

Producing 11 hours of Australian TV a year?

2 Likes

well they are allready calling to drop the drama content. and foxtel produce more then 11 hrs of tv a year. if they didnt charge as much as they do know esp during this covid-19 pandemic then they would have more money and have more options like putting all the channels on foxtel now. i cant see foxtel lasting the way the are now unless something changes

Restructuring multi billion dollar pay tv companies for a new steaming world is a little more complex than you suggest.

DirecTV, Sky, Rogers, Canal+ - all around the world they are feeling the same pain Foxtel is

DirecTV is losing subscribers at an alarming rate

then what do you suggest foxtel do??/

I don’t have the solutions to global pay tv companies woes to type here on MS. But this is a global trend that affects every legacy satellite / cable company in the world. And it’s far more complex and difficult than you make it. If you have the solution DirectTV will hire you for a few dozen million a year.

Verizon fios / fetch tv IPTV style delivery is where they should head, they can continue offering all their services without satellite services for most of Australia. It’s also quicker and easier to setup you just mail out a box reducing the cost or hiring contractors to install cabling and satellites

4 Likes

Also cheaper and churn wouldn’t hurt so much with not so much setup costs and infrastructure loss. No reduction in services and they could more affordably add more services without worrying about satellite spectrum, plus do things like virtual channels and better ways to rewind and catchup.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/now/box.html

something like this ?

How does it work for those on crappy internet connections? What about those with terrible quotas? While I think Foxtel caused a whole world of pain for themselves by not embracing the NBN simply calling for the cut of satellite isn’t going to be as simple as people seem to be making out here. There will be people who won’t have an internet connection capable or want to upgrade their plans for it.

2 Likes

Like I said you only need 3.5mbps to run HD on Fetch and still use the internet for other purposes. Sure in rural locations you’d need to retain a satellite service but you could perhaps have a cheaper light version of Foxtel for those areas.

3 Likes

i like ur thinking:D