Foxtel

No.

:sob:

Thanks for this. We have 12 months free Binge. We cancelled Foxtel a fortnight ago so that worked out well.

Any ideas what to do with an unwanted IQ2 box?

1 Like
5 Likes

One of my faves and looks cathartic.

1 Like

Javicia Leslie cast as new Batwoman

Season 2 coming to Foxtel in 2021

Javicia Leslie has been cast as the new Batwoman and will make her debut in the iconic cape and cowl when the series returns for a second season in 2021.

With her casting, Javicia becomes the first Black actress to portray Batwoman in a live-action television or film production. The television role was played by Australian actress Ruby Rose in the first season.

Javicia Leslie said: ā€œI am extremely proud to be the first Black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television, and as a bisexual woman, I am honored to join this ground-breaking show which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community.ā€

Javicia will play the role of Ryan Wilder, who is about to become Batwoman. Sheā€™s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. Sheā€™s also nothing like Kate Kane (Rose), the woman who wore the Batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits.

Today Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.

Prior to joining Batwoman , Javicia starred for two seasons on the CBS/Warner Bros. Television drama series God Friended Me and the BET drama The Family Business , as well as the feature film Always a Bridesmaid .

1 Like

Interesting story about the woes of News Corp Australia, and specifically Foxtel. One opinion that Foxtel is worth nothing is particularly interesting.

More:
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN24G36B?__twitter_impression=true

2 Likes

I have no doubt that our current federal government will offer Foxtel a bailout should the worst happen. :roll_eyes:

Still a long way from that conclusion though, albeit Telstra seems pretty keen on trying to offload its stake eventually.

4 Likes

Yes, Iā€™d like to see FOXTEL pay tv stay around. mostly for live sport that free to air wonā€™t show.

And that our broadband wouldnā€™t be up to the demands of buffer free HD streaming to hundreds of thousands all at once.

5 Likes

Fetch works great on broadband you only need 3.5mbps for a minimum viewing and itā€™s usually HD. Foxtel needed to pivot years ago to IPTV delivery.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s rubbish! Heard of Stan, Netflix, D+, Amazon, YouTube; and now Foxtel own versions Kayo, Binge?

All produced in HD and more Australians have streaming services than Fox!

Fox missed the boat 10yrs ago when it went against the NBN, and like all businesses that donā€™t keep up with modern times, they fail.

Foxtel management is mismanagement is to blame for their position.

4 Likes

Personally Iā€™m not a big streamer. I only do for a very short list of specific shows that I watch (E.g. I sign up for Stan when Rupaul is on and cancel as soon as it finishes). To me (especially late at night or weekends) nothing beats just flicking channels to randomly find stuff that you might not otherwise normally watch. On Foxtel im big on lifestyle, reality tv, music and docos which is not covered as much on streaming. Or I often watch random one off episodes of shows that I wouldnā€™t sit down to watch a whole season of on streaming platforms. It def has its place for me.

5 Likes

Heard of the Optus soccer World Cup streaming debacle?

Given that FOXTEL have approx 300,000 viewers watching NRL and AFL watching the SAME game AT THE SAME TIME, I reckon thatā€™d be more than what any of Netflix etc have watching at once.

And also remember sport generally needs a higher bit rate for a clear HD picture due to fast moving scenes.

6 Likes

Foxtelā€™s biggest issue is that they have overcharged for content that, with some notable exceptions, isnā€™t exactly worth the price tag. They are still overcharging, and people havenā€™t forgotten that.

Whatā€™s made it worse is that there are now many more options out there that are cheaper, not to mention, have better content (in the consumerā€™s eyes), and a lot more flexible.

Iā€™ve had Kayo in the past, might put it back on in the lead-up to the A-League returning but hereā€™s the kicker, at least for me - I could get it for $15 a month for 12 months through Telstra. But Telstra also gives me free access through my phone plan to the NRL, AFL and A-League. What do you think Iā€™m going to subscribe to? It should be $15 ongoing instead of $25 for the basic package.

I got 9 months of Binge thanks to their so-called loyalty plan Telstra Plus (which should be scrapped and replaced with cheaper plans across the board) - I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be continuing on after those 9 months. Binge should be priced at the same level as Netflix and Disney Plus.

Foxtel are fucked beyond repair. Their content isnā€™t premium - their prices need to change to reflect that.

10 Likes

i will go one furthur and say foxtel should put all on there channells on foxtel now and be done with it. and make it say $50 for everything since it would be streaming only and not the box. if foxtel is in so much trouble then why dont they just ditch the boxes and make things cheaper.

1 Like

Though they nerfed it this year, at least for NRL/AFL to no longer stream online through the websites, now itā€™s just on the phone. Previously you could sign in with the live pass on a PC and watch there. So those live passes are now useless as Iā€™m not going to watch a full game on my phone.

1 Like

I have it on my iPad. Works just fine, large enough, as I am watching/doing other things while the game is on.

I have never tried Kayo, Iā€™d be interested to see what itā€™s like when blown up on a 55 inch (which is the new normal for lounge room TV these days) or bigger.

I have a 65 inch. Looks perfectly fine. Like a quality 720p broadcast.

1 Like