Foxtel

From the article as linked in the below thread:

$US931 million non-cash impairment charge related to the goodwill and intangible assets at News Corp-controlled pay TV operator Foxtel.

Foxtel had 2.93 million subscribers at March 31, driven by growth from subscription service Kayo. The company reported 444,000 Kayo subscriptions.

Show the real data;

“The company has 272,000 paying subscribers for Kayo as of May 2”. That’s a 43% drop in subs, how many will join again when sport becomes live?

Are Friends and Big Bang Theory non exclusive , so they won’t be removed from Stan and Netflix?

As Big Bang only was added to Netflix last year I think in Australia and still is 1 season short.

Looking at JustWatch on several countries across Continental Europe, The Big Bang Theory is on Netflix as well as on rival SVOD services such as HBO Europe and/or Amazon Prime Video within the same country, meaning that the Netflix deal for that program is non-exclusive. Over in NZ, the show is on both Netflix & TVNZ On Demand, although the latter is considered a BVOD service. Both have the entire series available to stream.

By contrast, Friends is only available on TVNZ On Demand, and is not available on Netflix or any other SVOD service over in NZ. In several countries across Continental Europe, it’s also non-exclusive.

1 Like

So how far can Foxtel take this restructuring stuff before they look for a buyer for the business?

Knowing them, they’ll take it to the grave.

5 Likes

Tidying up the roof on Saturday.

According to this guy Foxtel are charging for included movies. I guess it depends which path he took to get to the movie as to whether the charge appears or not?

There are some good points in this piece from the ABC.

4 Likes

They’ll threaten to shut it down and Murdoch’s mates in the federal government will bail them out.

1 Like

Telstra (the ‘minor’ shareholder) has wanted out for a while - when Foxtel exit delivery over Cable, they will have little interest in being involved.

I doubt News want to sell it, they oddly kept it as part of News in the big split a few years ago when the rest of their subscription television investments went to 21CF (the majority of which ended up being sold to Comcast before 21CF went to Disney)

They’ve been trying to get out of it the partnership for quite a while. They used to be 50/50 shareholders with Newscorp and have sold some of their share. They have been trying to sell it all off.

Last time Foxtel asked Telstra and Newscorp to invest more into it, Telstra refused. This might actually be why they’re down to 35% shareholders?

Telstra’s share was diluted when Foxtel and Fox Sports merged

Not sure if Foxtel’s new deal with WarnerMedia was worth the money. According to SMH, Foxtel was believed to be paying 2.5 time more than the previous contract, and did not secure a ‘life-of-series’ clause for all of the new programs it creates, meaning WarnerMedia can take these in-house whenever it chooses to.

2 Likes
1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Binge

Would moving more subscribers to an online model save money? For example a number of overseas pay tv providers are using Apple TV as a set top box over clunky big boxes like the IQ.

1 Like

Developing an IPTV first model might save a bit. Foxtel have a problem with cable subscribers and the high overheads of transitioning them to satellite in time for the cable network shutdown.

What all these cable subscribers already have is access to the NBN HFC network, which delivers speeds more than enough for IPTV.

I disagree with using Apple TV as a STB. But adopting a model like Fetch would make sense. Unlike Foxtel Now (w/ the box), Fetch has high quality HD linear streaming, has HD versions of channels Foxtel subscribers only have access to in SD, Fetch can add channels without significant capex and you can record FTA and subscription channels on Fetch.

Fetch I think is so good that you wouldn’t even know you’re not using a cable service.

Foxtel should just fold Foxtel Now, and add the option to subscribe via IPTV or satellite when you sign up.

6 Likes

well foxtel now has a foxtel fans group on facebook which is moderiated by foxtel staff . and i poosed that veryy question boy did i get a lot of flack for even posting the question. a lot of the answers were that the nbn isnt quite up to scratch in some areas so some still want there statelites

the answers i got for the option to subscribe via iptv or statelite is that there is foxtel now which some people who were in favour for having the iptv opition were saying that foxtel should just add all of the channels to it . but most were saying that right now isnt the best time to suggest an idea as foxtel dont have the money to consider it at this stage

I dont get the need to have a proprietary STB for an IPTV service - its not the 1990s any more, the capability to run software on smart tvs, game consoles and devices like Apple TV make them somewhat unnecessary.

I suspect its more related to licencing/content agreements then being a technical issue (it draws a distinction between what is IPTV and what is a ‘streaming’ service)

6 Likes

I love my Apple TV, it just works. I don’t have the need for a record function as the networks all have a catch up option (and most Foxtel programs do the same). But giving people the option to use either a smart tv, gaming console or a Apple TV like device gives people choice. I see allot of people favour fetch on here but I cringe on the thought of getting one after using Apple TV for so long.

2 Likes