Foxtel

I think you answered your own question re The Comedy Channel.

It’s not a Fox branded channel.

There is no love lost from Foxtel with regards to legacy brands unfortunately.

Comedy Central is a global brand - as per other posts above, much of the content of The Comedy Channel is licenced - just sublet Comedy Central in.

All of the new channels are ‘key locked and greyed out’ on my TV guide, but I can click on them and access the channels. Is anyone else seeing that?

1 Like

Foxtel and NBCUniversal complete new multi-year content agreement

Foxtel and NBCUniversal Global Distribution & International (NBCU) today announced they have completed a new, multi-year agreement covering movies, drama, comedy, entertainment, reality and news for the Foxtel Group’s broadcast, on demand and streaming platforms.

The agreement includes premiere Australian subscription rights for movies from Universal Pictures and a significantly expanded range of titles from the studio’s rich library of blockbusters and evergreen classics. This further strengthens Foxtel Movies’ extensive line-up including hit films from The Fast and the Furious, Jurassic , Bourne and Jaws franchises, in addition to DreamWorks Animation titles.

Foxtel will continue to reimagine its channel offering with NBCU’s highly popular channels - Universal TV, E! and business news channel CNBC. Universal TV will join Foxtel’s new FOX Crime channel in providing an extraordinary line up of crime and procedural drama including multiple series in the Law & Order and Chicago franchises. Together with E! and Foxtel’s ARENA, Foxtel’s position will be cemented as the number one destination for reality and Hollywood news with hugely popular franchises such as E!’s Keeping Up with the Kardashians and The Real Housewives from Bravo.

The new agreement will also see NBCU continue as a major provider of scripted content for Foxtel’s expanded line-up of FOX-branded channels and on demand platforms. This includes complete seasons of some of the most popular sitcoms for FOX Funny and FOX Hits including The Office, 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation . The deal also brings Foxtel first run rights to US blockbuster series Chicago P.D. which will premiere on FOX One on November 15.

NBCU will also provide thousands of additional hours of on demand content including movies and both Bravo’s popular reality series and scripted box sets, initially available through the New Foxtel Experience on iQ3s and iQ4s and through Foxtel NOW. These will be joined by season five of locally commissioned hit reality series The Real Housewives of Melbourne , currently in pre-production with NBCU International Studios’ Matchbox Pictures and due on Foxtel screens exclusively in Australia next year.

Foxtel Chief Commercial Officer Amanda Laing said: “Foxtel and NBCU have a long and shared history of bringing iconic and ground-breaking entertainment to Australian audiences.

“We are incredibly pleased to extend that partnership with this new cornerstone agreement covering movies, scripted content and NBCU channels in a new agreement that reflects Foxtel’s commitment to building strong partnerships with the best content creators in the world.

“This broad, multi-year deal continues to deliver Foxtel subscribers NBCU’s amazing range of top-quality films and series, along with our compelling channel brands,” commented Chris Taylor, Managing Director, Distribution & Networks, ANZ, NBCUniversal. “We look forward to an on-going collaboration with Foxtel as we continue our long-standing, successful partnership.”

Ms Laing added: “Our new deal with NBCU is another step to ensure Foxtel is future fit to deliver on our promise to provide customers with the best of TV and on demand all in one place, at the best value.”

1 Like

So no MSNBC? - probably not surprising

2 Likes

And looks like we won’t be getting Peacock streaming service over here.

1 Like

Peacock looks a lot smaller than the rest and looks like it will be ad supported and maybe free

2 Likes

I think there’s been issues with the guide changeover. I can access both Funny and Hits on my Foxtel Now box, but there’s no tv guide for either (some weird placeholder code for one of them) and the logo for 111funny is where the Hits logo should be on 119, and no logo at all for Funny. Weirdly works fine for Foxtel Play app. Hopefully they’ll sort it out soon.

1 Like

Foxtel are announcing tonight that they’ll ‘add’ 2 more channels to be added in December - Fox Sleuth & Fox Sci Fi

I say ‘add’ because its not clear whether they are new or replacements for existing channels (i suspect the latter)

1 Like

Foxtel continues channel refresh in December with launch of FOX SLEUTH and FOX SCI FI

Foxtel today announced a further step in its major refresh of Entertainment and Movies channels with the December 17 launch of two new FOX-branded Entertainment channels – FOX SLEUTH and FOX SCI FI.

The announcement of the new, exclusive to Foxtel channels was made at tonight’s red-carpet event to mark the premiere of Foxtel’s new Entertainment and Movies line-up attended by Hollywood superstar John Travolta together with Australian actors Liana Cornell star of Britannia and David Berry from Outlander .

The announcement of the two new Foxtel channels follows today’s joint announcement with NBCU of a new multi-year content agreement which includes key scripted content for Foxtel’s suite of FOX-branded channels.

FOX SLEUTH celebrates the murder mystery genre by presenting beloved and iconic characters including classic whodunnit series Vera, Endeavour, Murder, She Wrote , Murdoch Mysteries , Poirot and Magnum P.I.

FOX SCI FI is the doorway to non-stop supernatural, paranormal and science fiction programming including Heroes, the original Charmed, Battlestar Galactica , the Star Trek : The Original Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

FOX SLEUTH and FOX SCI FI add to Foxtel’s seven new and existing FOX-branded entertainment channels: FOX ONE, FOX FUNNY, FOX H!TS and FOX CRIME which aired for the first time today, as well as established favourites FOX SHOWCASE, FOX8 and FOX CLASSICS.

Foxtel Executive Director Television Brian Walsh said: “The launch of the FOX SLEUTH and FOX SCI FI channels in December completes a major refresh of our Entertainment and Movies line-up providing Foxtel viewers with the best of TV and on demand for summer.

“The all-new line-up creates a distinct group of channel propositions and personalities that make Foxtel more accessible for viewers and provide us with more supplier flexibility to bring the world’s best content to our customers. They also strengthen our long association with the FOX television brand and confirm Foxtel as the brand’s exclusive home in Australia.

“FOX SLEUTH will be the home of the classic whodunnit, appealing to the armchair detective in us all. The channel will feature authentic, sometimes playful characters such as Vera’s DCI Vera Stanhope played by Brenda Blethyn and Poirot starring David Suchet, all much loved by murder mystery fans particularly women.

“FOX SCI FI provides the best in science fiction and supernatural TV and is designed to appeal to the entire family with strong characters and storylines driving the mysterious, cheeky personality of the channel.

1 Like

Fox Sci Fi will probably replace Syfy, Fox Sleuth won’t replace I don’t think.

1 Like

Fox Sci Fi will replace Syfy, Fox Sleuth will replace 13th Street.

1 Like

Both will replace says TV Tonight.

1 Like

Ahh, so that’s why Syfy and 13th Street weren’t mentioned in today’s press release! I hope they stay on Fetch!

1 Like

My iQ3 got updated to Netflix capability only a couple of nights ago.
Like the new look!

Haven’t tried Netflix on it yet though. But probably won’t bother as my iQ3 isn’t 4K capable, whereas my Sony Android TV is 4K capable and I stream on that instead.

I also suddenly decided to download the Stingray app and stream the music channels on my phone (those on Channels 830 and up). The sound quality via the app is very good, at up to 320 kbps and as Max 80s has a good quota of Aussie music on it too. Though weirdly the app is about 3 songs ahead of the TV channel (Max 80s anyway), I don’t really see the logic in that.

really?

I thought no one could use the “Sci Fi” words any longer, even Sci Fi had to change to SyFy due to interlectual rightrs issues.

This whole “FOX” branding is meaningless as no one here in Australia takes “FOX” as a brand seriously other than those in the local Melbourne FM radio market for Fox FM.

Maybe the scuttlebutt that Darth Vader is about to sell out is true.

1 Like

Logos

8 Likes

The issue would be that Sci Fi has a wider use as a genre - you usually cant get IP on that

its all now part of Foxtel Group’s broadcasting platform hence why they have chosen fox

Anyone got some pics of presentation/on-screen branding from the 4 new channels launched today?
I know FOX One is using the latest branding from America’s FOX but with orange, black and white used instead of blue.

Fox’s rebrand features a chunky new logo - Creative Review

I don’t think the change from Sci-Fi to Syfy in Australia had anything to do with intellectual rights. The former was a joint venture that suffered the same fate as TV1. Universal launched Syfy in its place.