Foxtel

Optus still have Optus TV featuring Foxtel Digital customers that still have the original Pace DC-420-O (O - Optus specific) stb in operation and the 1st gen iQ and even iQ2 stb (and possibly some Foxtel cable customers also) so that explains why MPEG2 is still being used as the Optus pay TV feed is the same one as the Foxtel digital feed all coming from North Ryde.

With the recent news that Foxtel intends to dump HFC service in favor of satellite and that Optus is shutting down pay TV (as in the existing HFC DVB-C service) so they can close down Optus HFC network as they are waiting for NBN Co to pay them to do so (which is causing all types of issues as NBN HFC still has not re-started to be provisioned and FTTC in “Optus HFC only regions” is taking a long time to roll out in those regions where Optus HFC is still operational which are large chunks of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, a full roll out of satellite DVB-S2 will take time, which is why they are keen to get customer to switch to Foxtel Now instead (specifically if customers are on NBN FTTP/C/B or NBN-HFC not so much FTTN)

For Optus is not a problem as much as once an area goes RTC/RFS the customers only have 90 days to transfer to a new NBN approved provider, obviously Optus want those former HFC (as in HSD, LAT/LIP and OTV) to stay with them which is why they have been pushing Fetch & Optus Sport as lures to keep them as they are not going to continue or re-enter into an agreement with Foxtel for content once the Digital CSA expires in 2020.

Easier said then done, even at 720p (HD) using MPEG4 AVC (H.264) & AAC they would still need around 3 to 6Mbits per channel for it to be at broadcast quality levels.

The only way around that is HEVC and that means rolling out new set top units (as its hardware now software) to all new customers via satellite and replacing all current cable / satellite boxes, that takes time & $$$ to do so.

Which is why Foxtel Now is the only way forward as it needs internet data served up on a multi-cast server, the catch is they will need massive server capacity otherwise end up with the same issue that Optus has had with Optus Sport.

1 Like

True, but WIN would be easier to work with from a trial and error perspective since its regional based, which is why Sky News on WIN will be a thing soon.

never say never, Foxtel now that News Corp owns more of it and the Commonwealth Govt have changed media rules could see them end up with a FTA licence (again) which has been the dream of Rupert since he was forced to get rid of WIN4 when he bought Ten-10 Sydney & ATV-0 Melbourne in the early 80’s and was then forced to sell when he decided to become a US citizen.

Remember they almost ended up with a national 10 network but Canberra took to long to act and CBS (thankfully) got control of Network 10 instead.

1 Like

Getting rid of the Austar legacy STBs would also allow them to ditch dual CA and get rid of some of the duplication

Not really - if anything it makes it harder simply with the number of transmission sites that WIN operates

3 Likes

Yet the current 4K trial is taking place in metro…

and being done by Broadcast Australia in Sydney only on VHF-10 from the main Gore Hill transmission site and also in UHF band from Kings Cross & Manly, I think they were on the old TVS-Digital 44 UHF band.

At 1st it was 1080p on LCN 401, 540p on LCN 402 both being MPEG4 H.265 HEVC with LC-AAC for audio showing a Newcastle beach & general surrounds, then it switched to full blown 2160p on LCN 402, they were sneaky as to when they actually did video loop, only some people saw it also as not many have DVB-T2 TV’s or STU.

they would only need to broadcast from Stanwell Tops (from the South) & from Gosford (north since WIN now have NRN) which can reach majority of Sydney^ and from whatever the equiv regional location closet to Melbourne metro are which are the two largest markets, I suspect that News Corp knows this which is why they have done such deals with WIN and now Nine to get onto each respective MUX.

^I can pick up WIN/SC09 (regional) and Prime7 using internal rabbit ears from my location in Sydney inner south west.

1 Like

Indeed, everything right now is simulcrypt Videoguard & Irdeto on that platform, but it has to be that way as for the former AUSTAR boxes work fine (well for the most part) and the cost to roll out is not cheap, which is why they are pushing Foxtel Now as hard as they can in all regions despite woeful internet problems “they” caused by backing MTM and not a pure FTTH system.

“They” clearly were not thinking about the future, “they” being News Corp.

You’ve missed my point. Regional transmitters offered no advantage over metropolitan transmitters with the 4K trial.

There are threads here and here discussing the trial.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, however will Seven, Nine or Ten be prepared to give Foxtel or any other pay TV space on the current MUX set up for HD 1080i let alone 4K?

Sky News on WIN at best will be a very low bit rate MPEG4 AVC / MPEG 1 Layer 2 (or possibly AAC) 720x576i channel, I assume the same for the future Nine/Sky channel whichlooks like its replacing datacast channel eXtra on the Nine MUX.

We all saw what happened with 7Flix being MPEG4 then 6 months in being switched to MPEG2.

No I don’t, but no one was really suggesting they would. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think @Jack_Laverty was just asking if Foxtel would be doing 4K trials at all. The whole idea of Foxtel trialling 4K terrestrially is absurd and I’m not sure why the discussion about it has gone into such detail here.

Foxtel will have to launch some kind of 4K service on their own platforms for use on their own consumer equipment eventually. All their testing is in-house and it won’t have as much public or government involvement as the terrestrial trials do now.

He also mentioned DVB-T2, which is why I talked about possibilities on that front.

Well it was a technical trial…

Any reception received in Sydney from either location is fortuitous and well outside their respective licence areas

What a load of crap

1 Like

of course, however its not impossible.

We shall see, history shows that they tried that before.

I’ve added up everything in my package: Entertainment Plus, Sport, HD, etc., and it comes to the amount they are charging me. The package doesn’t include movies, but I’ve just selected different movie channels on the IQ2, such as Premiere HD, and I can watch them. I don’t see how this can be, but I’m not complaining.

1 Like

My iq2 is allowing me to choose movies too at the moment, which aren’t in my package. :thinking:

at the moment i think movies are free for foxtel subcribers

1 Like

Movies free for the school holidays again?

Never heard of movies being free in school holidays. Anyway, school resumed today in Vic.

The package page in my online account says adding movies is $20/month.

Wentworth cancelled.

1 Like

It’s a loyalty offer. They do these quite often.

https://community.foxtel.com.au/t5/Movies/free-movie-chanels/td-p/245545