Foxtel

Don’t worry about that its just foxtel fixing the servers after the game of thrones stuffups youre not being charged extra for this

Foxtel Welcomes Conviction and Sentencing of Subscription TV Pirate

Foxtel has welcomed the sentencing of a Sydney man for his role in the selling of unauthorised access to Foxtel services.

Haidar Majid Salam Al Baghdadi, 33 years old, was convicted of criminal offences relating to charges of operating an illegal network that allowed more than 8000 people across Australia to access Foxtel subscription television broadcasts for free. A Sydney court has sentenced Al Baghdadi to serve an 18 month suspended jail term for carrying out the offenses.

The conviction and sentencing are the result of on-going joint antipiracy investigations involving the Australian Federal Police (AFP), Foxtel investigators, and Irdeto, the world leader in digital platform security. The three organisations uncovered an organised criminal network responsible for committing a wide-range of intellectual property theft of Foxtel services.

Foxtel’s CEO, Peter Tonagh, said, “Foxtel welcomes today’s court ruling and hopes it sends a strong signal that this type of activity is illegal. Foxtel takes intellectual property theft very seriously as it severely undermines the creative industry including every business and individual that works so hard to deliver us the movies, sport, drama and entertainment we love.

“Foxtel conducts ongoing investigations into the theft of Foxtel programming and we are proud to work so closely with the AFP and our partners at Irdeto to ensure the full force of the law is applied to protect our content.”

Rory O’Connor, Senior Vice President of Cybersecurity Services at Irdeto, said, “This conviction is another step forward in the global fight against online piracy. The seriousness of these crimes should not be underestimated and this result is further proof that piracy will not be tolerated. Partnerships like this play a crucial role in not only detecting these pirate networks, but ensuring that the perpetrators are brought to justice.”

Does it? He got a suspended sentence and wasn’t fined. The other two men involved were sentenced in 2014, one got 6 months in prison with subsequent community service while the other got a good behaviour bond. One of the three got prison, the other two didn’t and there were no fines.

Foxtel and Tim Cahill announce new school Academy

Today at Ascot Vale Primary School, Foxtel and Socceroos superstar Tim Cahill announced they will be pioneering a new Academy program into Australian schools.

In 2013, Foxtel and Tim Cahill joined forces to create the Foxtel Tim Cahill Academy - a free football program to inspire the next generation of Australian footballers through exclusive coaching clinics. So far, Foxtel and Tim have provided the experience to over 4,000 boys and girls across Australia.

This year, the Academy is expanding, so even more children can have a shot at their football dream.
Kicking off with Victoria, our Foxtel head coaches will be working with local schools to provide young Australians with the Foxtel Tim Cahill Academy experience.

“For me, it is all about inspiring the next generation of Australian footballers and giving them the opportunity to experience the game with the best coaches in the business. I am thrilled to be extending my relationship with Foxtel and giving more kids a chance to follow their dreams.” Tim Cahill said

The new program is open to all schools, regardless of age or ability. Each coaching session includes movement and coordination drills to improve a child’s ability to run, jump and pass, along with an element of fun competition to encourage communication and teamwork. Plus, each school receives a premium Foxtel football equipment pack.

For more information or to express your interest in having the program attend your school, visit https://www.foxtel.com.au/timcahillacademy/index.html

The AFR reporting that Telstra and News Corp have resurrected backing Fox Sports into Foxtel, which would result in News owning 65% of Foxtel with Telstra left with 35%, although Telstra would have more access to Foxtel content. The deal could be announced as early as tomorrow.

Edit: Deal is now confirmed, expected to be finalised by mid 2018.

3 Likes

I wonder if Sky News will be spun in at some point too

How long before News Corp sell to 21st CF…

Foxtel welcomes continued court action on piracy site blocking

Additional steps to halt online piracy will see Yes Movies, Vumoo, Los Movies, Cartoon HD, Putlocker and more blocked by Australia’s largest ISPs

Foxtel today welcomed the Federal Court’s latest actions to further address online piracy, with orders in a proceeding instituted by Foxtel to block an additional 127 domain names that allow access to 15 pirate streaming sites and 2 torrent sites, and orders in a separate proceeding instituted by the movie industry to block over 40 pirate sites.

In the proceeding instituted by Foxtel, Australian ISPs TPG/iiNet, Optus, Telstra and Vocus, will be required block the domain names associated with pirate streaming sites: Yes Movies, Vumoo, Los Movies, Cartoon HD, Putlocker, Watch Series 1, Watch Series 2, Project - Free TV, ProjectFreeTV, Watch Episodes, Watch Episode Series, Watch TV Series, The Dare TV, Putlocker9.is, Putlocker9.com, as well as Torrent sites: 1337x and Torlock.

Today’s court action coincides with the launch of Australia’s biggest ever anti-piracy campaign, dubbed ‘The Price of Piracy’. The campaign is led by Creative Content Australia, and emphasises the need to protect intellectual property rights while underscoring the threat of content theft on the creative industries. ‘The Price of Piracy’ also illustrates the dangers of malware, ransomware and identity theft associated with copyright infringing websites.

I always wonder the real purpose of Foxtel’s latest Federal Court lawsuit. Is it just protecting its own commercial interest, or does Foxtel really care about intellectual property rights? While Australians will be prevented to visit the above mentioned websites in the near future, conversely the ban kills off a major avenue for overseas people and expats to watch Australian reality shows like My Kitchen Rules, The Voice and MasterChef, as the latest episodes appear on pirate websites just hours after they are shown here. I feel that overseas networks are only interested in Australian reality shows (MasterChef Australia is still hugely popular even after 9 seasons) instead of dramas such as Offspring, and unfortunately pirate websites and torrents are the only way to catch up on the latest episodes so overseas viewers can join in the conversation with Australian fans.

Of course its just protecting its own commercial interest, thats all the pr*cks have ever been about.
Lucky I still have websites (not listed in the above) that I can watch my shows on for free haha.
Good luck at winning the piracy battle Foxtel hahahah.

2 Likes

And people can just use a vpn to get around these bans anyway.

2 Likes

MTV Australia will cease all regularly scheduled programming tomorrow, 24 August 2017, between 6am and 6pm to encourage Australians to enrol to vote before the deadline for The Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey.

They would have better cut through if they just played the message between every song. At least then people would still hear it, this way people are just going to turn off.

2 Likes

MTV is not a music channel though - it doesn’t play video clips.

7 Likes

But it’s all the MTV channels.

3 Likes

UK channel E4 did a similar thing for the 2015 election

Interesting to know it’s been done before.

I just don’t get the concept. Imagine if Channel Seven took off the 150 ads of Little Big Shots per day and just turned 7Two into a Little Big Shots promo channel. No one would watch and the ads wouldn’t have any of the cut through they have now.

You have got to think of the demographic of each channel though. Both MTV and E4 attract the younger crowd who are more likely to be complacent about voting while Seven attracts a predominantly older crowd who are more likely to want to have a say.

1 Like

What will they air instead?

A special message (read: ad).

What? How stupid.

1 Like

I think TheEditor is more asking in a generalised form rahter than specifically 7Two.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see the reaction if say the Hillsong channel or ACC ceased for 12 hours to broadcast the no case for that length of time and whether the mood would be as accepting as it is on the MTV posts.

1 Like