Foxtel

IQ5 box arrived. Unlike lsl I had no issues with getting it to use the internet connection. It asked if I was using satellite or just internet as soon as I turned it on for the first time.

The only issue I had was that I didn’t clip it down on to the hard drive enclosure properly so it couldn’t detect the hard drive at first.

Edit: One other issue. The default “auto” HDMI setting doesn’t detect that my TV is capable of 4K. I had to manually set it to 4K (Settings > Advanced Settings > Picture Settings > Set Top Box HDMI Output) to make it work.

1 Like

I’ll post a pic if you like.

On the whirlpool forums, there is a section dedicated to just that.

From left to right:
TG582n Basic BigPond ADSL Gateway
TG599vac Telstra Gateway Max (NBN Version)
TG587n v3 Premium BigPond ADSL Gateway
TG797n v3 Telstra T-Gateway (NBN Version)
TG782T BigPond ADSL Gateway
DJA0230 Telstra Smart Modem (Gen1)
3G21W8 BigPond Elite Network Gateway
CGD24N v2 BigPond Cable Home Network Gateway
C6300BD-1TLAUS Telstra Gateway Max (Cable)
LH1000 Telstra Smart Modem (Gen2.1)

(The LH1000 came by post this morning.)

6 Likes

Are you sure that’s the TG582n Basic BigPond ADSL Gateway?

It looks like my 1994 Breville Sandwich Maker with the “cheese spillover groove”

2 Likes

Does anyone know the significance of Foxtel’s legal name “NXE Australia Pty Ltd”? Does NXE actually stand for anything? Didn’t it used to be “Foxtel Management Pty Ltd”?

Not entirely sure but it’s probably to do with their new Streammotion company and the fact that they trying to put Foxtel on the ASX. How they come up with the name NXE Australia is a mystery.

I’ve heard (and I believe the October edition of the Foxtel Magazine may confirm) that if you have a box prior to an iQ2, you’re able to convert to an iQ5 now. Not sure whether that includes the iQHD (which was the iQ2 but rebranded)

I thought the iQHD released first with it later being rebadged iQ2 after the 1TB model came out?

Wasn’t it IQ2 rebadged to iqhd then back to iq2? my parents have got one that is badged as IQHD.

2 Likes

Yes Jack you are correct.

2 Likes

I see now, after some foxtel documentation research, yes, FOXTEL iQHD is formerly known as FOXTEL iQ2.

1 Like

Just a reminder it’s Foxtel’s presentation day tomorrow where announcements are expected including more details on Flash.

1 Like

Foxtel Group Strategy Day Presentation

https://www.foxtel.com.au/content/dam/foxtel/about/foxtel-group-strategy-day-presentation-september-30-2021.pdf

2 Likes

Ah, they managed to get ABC News after all for Flash.

the presentation itself is a bit scarce on details on Flash - hopefully they announce more details at 10:30

Just looked through it and thought the same thing. No info on news channels/sources, apart from the obvious Sky News Australia.

But good get bacco007!

What’s happening at 10:30?

The presentation itself starts - goes for about an hour and a half

For those already with the IQ5 how do the linear channel work in terms of streaming when you change channels? Do they buffer for a moment like on Foxtel Go or is it instant as per satellite/cable?

I realise it’s inevitable but I’m sad about moving to an internet based stream rather than satellite. I feel like in 7 years of Foxtel - I’ve had the satellite go down twice briefly for extremely bad weather, whereas the internet seems slightly more prone to dropouts.

I’m on the 50mb download speed for internet but would think I would want to move to 100mb if using the internet for linear content. Do other Foxtel IQ4 users have this concern?

1 Like