Foxtel

Foxtel also doesn’t yet have 7mateHD or 9Rush, if I’m not mistaken.

Surely most of the non-iQ Foxtel SD boxes from yesteryear still used now would be for MATV setups in pubs, clubs, hotels and the like?

That’s pathetic. Scandalous, even!

Fair enough that the older SD boxes wouldn’t be able to receive FTA HD channels, but surely Foxtel shouldn’t be charging for content one can receive for nothing on most modern DVB-T devices?

I could understand Foxtel having that a decade ago while most of the FTA networks (temporarily) abandoned their main HD channels, but surely not these days?

5 Likes

I’m not so sure. I know a few older people who still have them, my dad included. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yes, some people just don’t care about HD.

But I agree with @moe in that the $$$ saved from satellite bandwidth by removing SD simulcasts would more than offset the lost revenue from those who are paying the $10 pm HD charge and the cost of replacing SD only boxes (over time).

Last time I looked the new plan structures don’t have HD as a separate fee, so all they’d be doing is giving free HD to people who are long time customers - for a company bleeding subs it would be helpful.

They could even keep charging people who are already paying the fee until they ring up and complain.

1 Like

Been saying this in the Foxtel community for years.

1 Like

I was thinking the same, but just did a poke around on their website, and it is still possible to get SD by itself.

If you have the basic $49 Foxtel Plus package, it gives you the option to add HD for $10

Where as soon as you pretty much any other package, eg Movies or Sport, you then get that + the HD included

Even though VAST is a vastly inferior alternative to terrestrial TV, at least they can guarantee everyone has access to MPEG-4 HD services unlike Foxtel.

1 Like

Foxtel has picked up BBC anthology series Small Axe, made up of five original films by Oscar, BAFTA and Golden Globe winning director Steve McQueen.

I still received these channels in HD despite being on the SD package a while back?

Mine come in via antenna into my iQ3/4 though.

Will IQ2 ever get the FTA HD Channels via Satellite?

As thats what I have…

Probably not.

I’m actually shocked by how many satellite customers on here didn’t have an antenna installed by Foxtel along with their satellite dish. I thought this was a pretty standard thing for them to do?

Do you mean FOXTEL installing free to air antennas?

I can’t see how that would benefit their product, when you are really paying for their channels.

2 Likes

They haven’t even bothered making the newer FTA channels (9Rush and 10Shake) available for for the Foxtel Now box, which uses the aerial rather than satellite, so I wouldn’t hold out much hope unfortunately.

1 Like

Yes. It’s a low end one but does the job.

1 Like

It’s not part of their core job but you can offer a few extra bucks and I’m sure they’ll help you with an extra co-axial lead.

2 Likes

Foxtel have never installed FTA antennas. It’s not part of their packages. And, as said above, why would they give a leg up to its competitors?

More likely in your instance it was an independent contractor working for Foxtel who offered to put up an antenna for you.

3 Likes

foxtel never installs tv antenas ever or even offers installing free to air anntennas . i think your mixed up with something else

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they did at one stage. They used their own custom Foxtel + FTA wall plates and contractors would either put an antenna up or use the existing infrastructure to get FTA to the Foxtel box, like it was part of the job order.

3 Likes

The Foxtel version of an upfront is to be held Thursday 22 October.

It will cover programming for Foxtel, Kayo and Binge.

2 Likes