Fox Sports

Yes, but Netball fans will follow. Fans will follow their sport to wherever they need to be to watch it. We are talking about getting the casual viewers, who are channel surfing and find the netball. This can’t happen anymore when it is on Kayo.

1 Like

I think with netball too, the broadcast deal is so important to the player contracts. It seems to me that they don’t really have much other income. Sponsorships aren’t massive and ticket sales don’t seem to be huge either although tickets for netball aren’t cheap too. Obviously this is why Netball Australia went with Foxtel. They must have offered the most money.

well yeah. Sometimes money shouldn’t be the trump card though.

1 Like

You could make the same argument for casual viewers and most sports

Money is what is keeping these competitions going and a large proportion of their revenue is coming from media rights.

Netball has been under pressure to pay their players more (and we’ll see this more particularly with women’s sport), the only way they are able to do this is to maximise income.

Cough Seven Cough

Some times casual fans turn into die hard fans. Would I have grown to love cricket if it was behind a paywall when I was growing up, seems unlikely.

3 Likes

I agree and its something that sporting codes should be concerned about - but while their business models rely on media rights to significantly prop up their balance sheets, the money will win out

I totally understand the money imperative, but locking it all behind a paywall really hinders the game. Just look at cricket participation rates in England after the ECB sold everything to Sky.

6 Likes

Its a huge issue that its hard to see whether the various sporting codes are concerned about or not - there seems to be some level of assumption that because some sports have been popular in the past that the popularity will continue. It will put pressure on the sports that can’t back the programs like Auskick and Cricket Blast that are helping bring the younger generations into being fans of the game.

We’ve probably the end of the really big pay days for most sports from media rights - the money just isnt there to support it - will that bring FTA back into the picture? Possibly not

The only light I’m seeing at the moment is that Nine and Ten both have paid streaming services they can use. That way they can buy up sporting rights as they see fit, put most of it behind a paywall, but show a game or two per week live on FTA.

2 Likes

Fox Sports and Kayo will also be broadcasting the Women’s British Open (to be held at Muirfield in 2022) and the Senior Open (Gleneagles in 2022).

1 Like

I’m surprised that Fox Sports hasn’t re-branded channel 503 as “Fox Golf” or “The Golf Channel” (now that AFL season is almost over) and 506 as “Fox Motorsport” seeing though 503 is 24/7 golf and 506 is 24/7 motor sport.

Just easier to keep it the same.

1 Like

Supercars announced this afternoon that the 2021 season would resume at Sydney Motorsport Park with four back-to-back weekends of racing, starting on October 29. All four weekends will be shown live on Fox Sports.

The season ends with the Bathurst 1000 six-day festival from November 30 to December 5.

1 Like

Its expected that two rounds will also be live on Seven to allow Supercars to meet their contractual obligations

2 Likes

Foxtel Group renews partnership with Augusta National Golf Club for the Masters Tournament

Multi-year agreement to show the Masters live on Foxtel and Kayo from 2022

The Foxtel Group today announced a new multi-year agreement with Augusta National Golf Club that will see the Masters Tournament shown live on Foxtel and Kayo from 2022.

The agreement will also see the Foxtel Group show the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and two amateur initiatives co-founded by Augusta National in the Asia-Pacific Amateur Championship and the Latin America Amateur Championship.

The holy grail of golf events, the Masters is presented bigger and better than ever with a dedicated Masters pop-up channel, more than 100 hours of live coverage, special coverage of the famous Amen Corner in 4K Ultra HD, and exclusive programming ‘Aussies at the Masters’.

Rebecca McCloy, Foxtel Group Commercial Director - Sports, said: “We are thrilled to be continuing our long and valued partnership with Augusta National. The Masters is one of the most prestigious sporting events of the year, and we are delighted to showcase it, and Augusta National’s amateur events, for our 2.4 million sports subscribers watching on Foxtel and streaming on Kayo.

“The 85th Masters played this year drew the largest audience since 2016, and the dedicated Masters pop-up channel on Foxtel saw over 2.7 million hours viewed. We saw audiences grow + 28% year on year, and it is extremely exciting to bring the Masters to a new audience of fans through Kayo.

“As the home of golf in Australia, we look forward to bringing fans more coverage and greater access than ever before from this truly one-of-a kind sporting event. Foxtel and Kayo customers will continue to all enjoy all four majors as well as the PGA Tour, the LPGA Tour and the Ryder Cup.”

Golf audiences have grown around the world as the feats of the best golfers are showcased, with Australia’s Cameron Smith’s rise in the world golf rankings and Lucas Herbert’s recent win on the European Tour now earning his PGA Tour card for next season, along with Adam Scott, Marc Leishman and Jason Day.

Foxtel and Kayo will show every round of the Masters live from 2022.

1 Like

is it exclusive to Fox Sports

Doesn’t say exclusive so wouldn’t so although Nine didn’t mention it in their upfront so who knows.

But Fox, please stop using the God awful world feed, I want the CBS feed

They may not have a choice though.