Fox Cricket

He (Kerry) was a part of Seven’s team when they covered the English one-day tour around a decade ago.

1 Like

I think he commentated on domestic one-day cricket for Channel 9 in the early 90’s too.

I look forward to seeing how Skull will be used throughout the summer. No doubt he will be part of the new magazine shows, but I wonder if he’ll feature in BBL coverage. I’d say he’ll be commentating on the JLT one-day matches and Sheffield Shield final too as he is known to be a close follower of domestic Australian cricket.

1 Like

Fox has been showing lots of cricket this winter

Global Canadian T20
England vs India
Sri Lanka vs South Africa
Zimbabwe Tri Series
Zimbabwe vs Pakistan
CPLT20

Going to be a huge summer of cricket

3 Likes

I’ll give you a scenario:

I don’t have Foxtel. I don’t really want Foxtel. I refuse to pay to watch a major Aussie sport. CA sold themselves out.

Therefore I have no choice but to watch the FTA converge, which to be fair, looks pretty damn impressive as well thus far.

Tell me I am the only Australian with this view?

1 Like

Most Australians probably aren’t considering their summer cricket viewing in July.

As it gets closer to the season I suspect there’ll be more realisation it’s only tests and BBL on Seven.

I think both networks have put together reasonable teams but Fox gets my vote based solely on not recruiting Michael Slater and not having Hamish McLachlan, James Brayshaw.

2 Likes

Do you go to cricket matches at the MCG? I am seriously considering going to ODIs and Twenty20 internationals at the MCG this summer because I don’t want to just hear the matches on radio. It’s worse than the 1980s and 1990s when GTV9 could only show the first two hours of ODIs live in Melbourne metro.

2 Likes

I’m a Melbourne Cricket Club member, you’d like to think I bloody well do for the annual fee I pay yes, Johnson

1 Like

…Is not part of the coverage?

My apologies. I thought he’d been confirmed by someone. Think I read something on twither.

Its unlikely that you will be - but I would suggest that it may be worth revisiting in the future as more sport goes either pay-only or favours subscription services (and thats not just Foxtel, but it could also be other streaming options including those run by the respective sports)

The trend appears to be moving towards some kind of subscription model (and thats not just in Australia)

You might think that, but you need to remember they are a business first and foremost and the decision to go this way is as much a financial one as anything else, media rights now represent a considerable income stream to most major sports now, decisions like this assist them in maximising revenue

5 Likes

Funny how we Australians feel like it’s our right to free sport on TV. But it’s the streaming services that we willingly pay for (ie. Netflix, Stan, etc) that are killing free-to-air television and thus making it no longer profitable for them to offer free sport.

You pay for Netflix, you might just have to pay for sport one day too.

3 Likes

I enjoying the test match Sri Lanka vs South Africa. The wickets are more challenging to bat, in my view more interesting.

1 Like

I don’t believe that; free to air are just lazy! Programming programmes at different times each week, no consistency, programs that say they start at 8:30 and instead start at 8:45.

Also SOO was on during the week, massive ratings, only on nine. Exclusive deals for free to air means that people are glued to that channel and that channel only. So why don’t channels do more exclusive deals, cause they don’t want to spend massive amounts of money and are happy with doing things in half and whinge about no one watching it.

I want to know how much Seven are spending on commentators? Cause now they don’t have exclusive rights, they won’t have as many people watching and therefore can’t expect advert to draw the same amount of cash from them. Surly a loss on investment is coming?

Hopefully.

Not even sure how fox sports maintain these excessive rights payments either.

Let’s hope this whole rights deal flops. It’s bad for cricket, bad for the fans.

1 Like

Seeing Nine lost money broadcasting cricket, it’s all but certain that Seven will as well

3 Likes

And West Indies v Bangladesh.

But so they should (except for the England vs India) They should have stood firm and not shown any cricket in England after being snubbed for rights to The Ashes in England.

What load of rubbish. Snubbed for rights? So because the ECB made a commercial decision on rights, Foxtel should have collected their bat and ball and gone home? It’s also on Australian sport List for free to air, so fox could have pulled out due to it being not commercially viable!

Or are you from the partipation generation where if you finish dead last in a 6 person running race you still expect an award, instead of being told you weren’t good enough this time, try harder? :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

No Australia vs England ODI’s and T20’s due to the anti-siphoning list and that the Ashes is a protected event in Australia.

Next July they’ll be lots of angry Foxtel customers complaning the Ashes won’t be on Fox Cricket although Fox Sports has the rights to Australian Cricket at home and overseas except for the Ashes and limited overs series in the UK

Slightly incorrect, the Ashes tests are on the anti-siphoning list, but Australia v England ODIs and T20Is in England are not, so Fox Sports could have bid for the rights for the limited overs series, and it would be up to ECB to decide whether to split those matches from Ashes broadcast rights.

2 Likes

Yes they should have. After being snubbed for The Ashes in England, Fox Sports did just that and not show any international cricket from England for a while, and they still haven’t shown any domestic cricket from England since the snub.

What really irks me though is Nine will most likely broadcast The Ashes on GEM in SD (just like the recent ODI series). Again, a commercial decision.