Fox Cricket

Hmmm… if they were going to ever do it, then the Ashes would be the time. Good to see!

Fox taking the Seven pictures but with their own commentary, ala BT Sport for the men’s series:

Mel Jones, Isa Guah & Julia Price commentating

1 Like

To Fox’s credit, all women commentary team too which is good to see (shame they cant do the same with their coverage of the AFLW)

3 Likes

Cricket Australia has made changes to the Twenty20 series between Australia and Sri Lanka, with matches moved from Brisbane and Adelaide to minimise biosecurity risks by reducing travel across the country. The SCG will host the first two matches, Manuka Oval gets the third match, with the final two matches at the MCG.

Interestingly, there was no news about the new schedule on CA website and you have to look up the fixtures page to see it.

1 Like

The tournament begins with a doubleheader at Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium on Sunday, October 16.

Australia will play games in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, in that order, before the semi-finals in Sydney and Adelaide.

There will be a group match between Afghanistan and winner of First Round Group A at The Gabba on Melbourne Cup Day, Tuesday November 1, starting at 2pm local time (3pm AEDT), when the Cup race is scheduled to run.

2 Likes

WWC behind paywall

1 Like
1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me if we see the Australian games on Kayo Freebies as a result of this backlash. Fox can then claim that they’ve made it free to watch (and thus act as a ‘savior’ when the FTA networks have failed), while boosting exposure for their own product and potentially getting a few new subscribers out of it.

3 Likes

Kayo Freebies IS NOT FTA.

I know that and didn’t say that it was FTA.

I said it was ‘free to watch’, which is distinct in that you need to sign up for a free account and also require an internet connection.

Fox do use this with the netball amongst other things as a way of claiming to make it accessible to a wider audience without subscription, so just saying it wouldn’t surprise me if they went down that path with this.

5 Likes

No one (other than maybe Foxtel) is claiming that it is

Based on the definitions contained within the relevant Act (especially the specific definition of ‘televise’), Kayo Freebies doesn’t appear to be a mechanism to satisfy the requirement either, which suggests that Fox may be using other tactics to justify being the exclusive rights holders to events on the Anti-Siphoning List.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t all they have to prove is the FTA networks had first rights to bid on the game/event/property (or agree on a sub-licensing deal) but no agreement was/could be reached?

1 Like

Possibly - given Fox technically hold the FTA rights, they may have to prove they’ve made reasonable efforts to offer them on. Nine signing a deal for the men’s tournament may deliver that.

Realistically it may not matter - nothing of substance happened when Fox bought the ODI rights to the exclusion of Seven.

If nothing comes of this viz-a-viz the anti-siphoning list, the Government might as well dismantle it, its clearly no longer fit for purpose.

3 Likes
1 Like

ta da!

1 Like

See it is being reported above that this will indeed be occurring, as I suggested/predicted earlier.

Tomorrow nights lotto numbers are 7, 18, 22, 31, 33 and 42 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Kayo Freebies​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:. No casual fan seeks out that service. Only dedicated fans would sign up to project that on a smart tv. These sports like netball that have signed up for this as their free to air are not exposing their product to new fans or casual fans. I’m sorry but the women’s World Cup won’t get much more coverage being on freebies.

It’s not even a promoted service.

3 Likes

(I agree)

Ah, but you see, “Nine didn’t want it” and now “Fox is our saviour by bringing this to the public”.

:roll_eyes: :joy:

3 Likes

Disagree - the anti-siphoning list definitely still has a purpose (see how little sport is aired on FTA in the UK and NZ if you want to understand why). It’s just it’s not a foolproof mechanism/protection and there are ways to get around the spirit of it.

1 Like