Football⚽️

The future of club memberships?

The Jets are moving memberships to all digital tickets - no card, lanyard, no physical members pack. Opt in to buy members only merch. I know we’re broke and looking to be sold, but seesh!

At the very least, give us the card, lanyard and a sticker for the car.

2 Likes

Dream on!

We will be sold! If Trumpy can be outvoted, the Jets will have new owners. I must have hope!

Alas, the only buyer will be the A-League (ie Sydney FC and Melbourne City).

So are the Swans - https://membership.sydneyswans.com.au/faq-category/2021-membership/#will-receive-member-card

Sign of the times

1 Like

Also, Wellington Phoenix will play all its home matches at WIN Stadium in Wollongong for the upcoming season, however there will be flexibility to return to Wellington should travel restrictions ease.

2 Likes

Just move Western United to Canberra already and be done with it.

Shift Macarthur to Wollongong while you’re at it.

And work out a proper prorel system too so the football purists will shut the f**k up about it. Even though the likes of South Melbourne, Sydney United and Melbourne Knights should be confined to the dustbins of footballing history.

4 Likes

It would be great if there was promotion relegation, but I think there needs to a national second tier first, and some sort of promotion relegation between that and the state leagues.

2 Likes

This sparks joy.

This does not spark joy.

They should be called the Australian Soccer Federation!

1 Like

‘Soccer’ is not used officially.

That will mean the end of Wellington Phoenix because there is no way the team will be able to play in a second tier competition in Australia, if they are relegated.

1 Like

I’m not the biggest fan of pro/rel, only because Australian sport is not used to this sort of system at the higher levels. Everywhere else is used to it, as it’s been there from the start. Sure, it’s there at the lower levels, but not at the “elite” levels. For some clubs, it would kill them off. Passionate fans will back their teams no matter what, but you need casual fans, and if they’re not at the big table, they’ll go elsewhere.

The way to do it is to get enough clubs so that you can create two divisions. Priority to Wollongong and Canberra for new clubs, then a 2nd club for Brisbane/south-eastern Queensland, north/central Queensland, Tasmania and a 2nd NZ club (see below). Then you have 18 clubs.

Then you reinvigorate the NPL system - no NPL club gets automatic promotion to a “new” A-League unless they meet requirements, including (and this will piss off people, but f**k it) identifying with a certain ethnicity - you have to represent a local area and everyone within it, regardless if you have warring factions. Maybe have a system like they do in Japan where you need to be an associate member of the J-League if you want to move up.

South Melbourne are the incels of Australian football - they think they are owed a spot at the table but they’re not getting it. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s going backwards. Hutchy can bugger off too, it’s football everywhere else.

Tell New Zealand to get out of the OFC and into Asia, and consider their national competition at the same status of the NPL, with a similar promotion path into the A-League.

There are Welsh clubs in the English system. All of Lichtenstein’s teams play in the Swiss system. It can happen.

1 Like

Wasn’t the one I had an issue with :wink:

Oh…well, I’m still right. They’re the ones still moaning about it like the little incels they are.

1 Like

Yeah, I think an A-League 1 and an A-League 2 system would be best. They would need to a have a central TV and key sponsorship contract so money could be distributed in a decent manner between the clubs. Mandatory relegation pay cuts/release clauses would probably also need to be a thing.

I’m not sure how promotion/relegation to A-League 2 could be managed. There’s the issue of old ethnic clubs, and also ensuring that all of Australia is at least broadly represented in the top two tiers.

18-20 teams across two tiers would give soccer a real chance to capitalise on markets that have no winter sport representation, eg. Tasmania, NT.

The other problem is cost. Flying teams around the country doesn’t come cheap.

2 Likes

Between Div 1 and Div 2, assuming you have 9-10 teams in each division -

• You can still have 4 team playoffs in each division. Div 1 are Australian champions, Div 2 champions get promoted.
  • Bottom place in Div 1 gets relegated and replaced with Div 2 champions.
  • Second last place in Div 1 can go into a one game play-off with the Div 2 runners up. Winner either keeps their place in Div 1 or gets relegated and Div 2 runner-up gets promoted.
  • Last place in Div 2 gets demoted back to their state’s top league.
  • The winner of the national finals of the National Premier League gets promoted to Div 2.
  • Runner-up of the NPL final series plays second last Div 2 in a one game play-off. Winner either keeps their place in Div 1 or gets relegated and Div 2 runner-up gets promoted.

Hopefully people follow that. And everything else you’ve said also would be taken into account. Get people in from leagues like England and Japan who know how all this works.

Following from the Japanese example, promotion from the NPL to A-League would be subject to being an A-League Associate Member. Membership would not be guaranteed and is subject to the following (adapted from the Japanese model):

Club organization

• Must be organized as either a privately-run company OR not-for-profit group that has existed for at least 2 years with a focus on football.
  • Owners must be reflective of the entire community and not tied to a particular ethnic group
  • Must employ at least four full-time administrative employees, one of whom must have managerial position
  • Must have proper payroll system according to state and federal law
  • Must have proper financial management and conduct annual tax audit
  • Must hold intellectual rights for the club name, logo, and all associated trademarks.
  • Said logo, name, etc, must not be inherently linked to a particular ethnic group.
  • Employment policies must be in line with community expectations and state and federal laws - e.g. you cannot employ all Greeks or all Serbs or all Croats.

Home town and stadium/training facility

• Must be approved by respective football federation
  • Must be approved by the local and/or state government in writing
  • Home stadium must be located in the proposed hometown
  • Must secure training facilities within the proposed hometown

Other Conditions

• Must currently play in the top tier of their state league and have done so for at least 5 years
  • Must aim for eventual admission to A-League
  • Must have a working youth development system that exists for no less than one year

In the event a team is eligible for promotion

• Must have been a A-League Associate Member for at least 12 months
  • Must have a stadium that complies with A-League standards (capacity 10,000 or above), and meets all local, state and federal rules, regulations and standards, along with broadcast standards
  • Must have suitable financial backing, no excessive debt
  • Must have average attendance of home games no less than 2,000 spectators, with significant effort demonstrated to reach 3,000

Also, Football NSW and Northern NSW Football would be merged, with three divisions formed - North, South and Sydney. The other states are fine.

4 Likes

Not having promotion and relegation sounds easier.

Whilst I do agree, it’s inevitable it will happen in Australian football - every other football country has a league system like it, and the AFC are likely to mandate one if we want more spots in Champions Leagues etc… My aim would be to do it right.

2 Likes

Can I nominate you to be on the FFA/FA board?

2 Likes