First Dates

I actually think this is an okay format and Seven were silly to pass on it, chopping and changing timeslots probably didn’t help but I can’t imagine it being that expensive either.

Not a bad pickup for 10 if true, but would hate to see it stripped on multiple nights per week and would ideally need to air away from the Bachelor franchise, though it comes from the same prodco.

If they can re-work it a little then maybe a 30 min show on Saturday nights as a bit more of a ob-doc than reality, though not sure that will pair well with Football when that begins.

5 Likes

Will they be dating under Covid restrictions?

1 Like

They will have to wear masks and keep 1.5 metres apart at all times. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You know that isn’t going to happen though right?

I think this is quite a good pick up for 10. I always though that 7 treated it terribly. It did pretty well in the demos for the them at times and it just didn’t seem liked by the programmers.

Glad to see 10 pick this up (potentially). It was a good show.

4 Likes

And here I was thinking I was the head programmer for 10 for a minute…

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Im not sure you would last long having first dates the lead in to a soccer game :wink:

1 Like

Agreed.

Cheap, likeable, easy to watch. Should do well for Ten.

3 Likes

Agreed.

Australian TV has enough dating, relationship and wedding-themed “reality” shows as it is. We don’t need any more, although it certainly would not be a surprise if Ten did pick up First Dates as a companion program for The Bachelor/ette in much the same way Nine has Beauty & The Geek + Love Island to compliment MAFS and of course, how Seven tried (but failed) numerous times to establish new cooking formats to compliment MKR.

But First Dates isn’t like most of those.

This isn’t about a bunch of people chasing one (or a few) members of the opposite sex. It’s literally a bunch of casual blind dates in a reataurant, no gimmicks, no contest, no bitchiness or talking heads, and gasp same sex couples are represented

5 Likes

Agree, I think the contestants are a bit more genuine than on some other reality shows.

I still like some of the repeats on 7flix, pleased to see 10 is giving it another go, I hope they don’t change it too much.

1 Like

Well they need a format to replace Bachelor in Paradise somehow :wink:

1 Like
3 Likes

As discussed in the Ten 2021 thread last night, casting notices and a casting ad on the network have confirmed First Dates is coming to 10.

2 Likes

TV Blackbox article:

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

When will Australian TV networks realise that we need less of these shows on our screens, not more?!

I also seem to recall the most recent season of First Dates tanking in the ratings for Seven, so can’t see it doing any better on Ten.

1 Like

Cause they treated it like shit, there was no consistency and it was used like filler programming.

I’m fine with this program, it seems genuine and more authentic than others.

8 Likes

I agree. I’ve quite enjoyed this show as well in the past. Hopefully 10 treat it right with a consistent timeslot.

7 Likes

Get the right restaurant host, bar and wait staff will make a difference as well. The uk staff help make the program successful. The Aussie staff have been less than memorable
Thursday night 8:30 alternating with goggle box

1 Like

Maybe manu as restaurant host