FIFA World Cup 2022

After the sponsor boards and program opening above, the opening ceremony began. Significant audio problems. To start with you could hear the local commentary but the voices from the stadium including Morgan Freeman were hard to hear. You could notice an attempt to increase the stadium audio but then the commentators couldn’t be heard. Notable that there was a long ad break after just 8 minutes.

After the break Morgan Freeman was back - this time the audio was out of synch. No commentary was heard during this segment. However, this part of the ceremony was all singing so synch issues didn’t matter.

After the next ad break, the commentators were back.

Also noted, a subtle “Welcome to the world game” by the late Les Murray at the start of the show and also the game that followed.

1 Like

First game followed the ceremony.

3 Likes

The use of green screen to add depth and height to the set is tremendous. Looks amazing.

Excellent they acknowledge they’re in Sydney but then actually cross to the stadium reporter and commentator. SBS leading the way yet again with coverage. Leaving the likes of 7 and they’re horrible games coverage for dead.

7 Likes

SBS set looks great. Scoreboard bug is too big. I quite like the BBC score bug.

1 Like

Rest of the graphics are quite nice but the scorebug really lets it down in my opinion.

3 Likes

If the scorebug is provided by FIFA, then SBS has no control.

2 Likes

Yes I know, but I’m just commenting on the package. They can do their own (BBC, ITV, FOX, ESPN, etc. do), not expecting them to though.

Interesting to see that Be-In Sports are re-uploading the SBS highlights on YouTube (and I’ll assume on other platforms as well). I’ll assume it’s part of the deal to use Be-In’s Arabic commentary.

1 Like

Looks like Fox is using the FIFA gfx. Wonder what ITV will do.

1 Like

FOX had the same scorebug but the time was on the right

TSN in Canada had the same as SBS

BBC had a completely different scorebug from what I found

2 Likes

No time on bbc?

That one is a custom one based off the design.

This is the World Feed one.

This is the BBC’s scorebug.

That’s probably a screenshot from a highlights video. The BBC removes the time from the highlights for whatever reason.

Can confirm the BBC definitely had the time.

2 Likes

Yeah I got the screenshot from a highlight video.

1 Like

World Cup as it should be. 4 years ago Optus had the tournament but were forced to give up the games to SBS due to technical issues

1 Like

BBC chose to air a broadcast of criticism of Qatar’s human rights record rather than the World Cup opening ceremony.

2 Likes

Care to elaborate?

Well done to them. It will be interesting to see if there is any response from FIFA, in the way of declining appearances on the BBC or less access in the future.

1 Like

That story is somewhat misleading based on other reports. As reported by other media, BBC was late to the broadcast because of other sporting commitments then chose not to show the final 10 minutes.

But viewers in Britain missed out on much of the spectacle because the BBC was late to broadcast the show by 20 minutes.

The first part of the opening ceremony was missed because BBC One opted not to interrupt coverage of the Women’s Super League match between Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

But once the game had concluded and the BBC switched to its team in Doha, it refused to show the remainder of the opening ceremony on terrestrial TV, instead broadcasting a pre-packaged report on Qatar’s questionable human rights record and the controversy surrounding the tournament.

Also reported

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1594409338969407488?s=20&t=EIbTDUtY7RN4DEdyTRJAgw

3 Likes