FIFA World Cup 2022

3 Likes

What does everyone else think? I guess they’re clean and do the job. Hopefully the camera work and directing is top notch.

2 Likes

FIFA’s World Cup graphics has always tended to focus on clean and tidy rather than too much style. If I recall there was a bit of Brazilian flair on the 2014 gfx but otherwise it’s been straight forward.

2 Likes

No mention about 4K broadcast in Australia on SBS. The 2010 World Cup was trialled in 3D with selected matches on Channel 40

SBS don’t really have much of a football department these days so I guess they’ll compile a team of freelancers and the like for the broadcast.

They’ve always been excellent in presenting from the host nation. They’re back broadcasting from France for the stour this year so no doubt they’ll mount a huge coverage from Qatar.

Will David Basheer be returning to the network as chief caller of the Australian games. Will they have another caller for marquee match ups or just use the world feed? What pundits will be in studio with the broadcast and who will be the chief host? Lots of questions to be answered.

1 Like

I think these look like interim graphics as they really didn’t do much. I think they need something more aesthetically pleasing than those. One would hope anyway.

2 Likes

Stan’s experience with UEFA Champions League finals recently demonstrates it is possible to live stream matches in 4K. Any TV broadcast of World Cup in 4K however will have to wait until the 2026 tournament in North America (provided Australia undergoes a 4K broadcast trial between now and then).

2 Likes

Has Basheer left SBS? I thought he was the last football man standing there, but I may have missed his departure amongst all the others.

I’m not too sure. I haven’t seen him on air there in years. I just assume he also left.

4 Likes

Great result for the Socceroos and football in Australia. SBS will also be pleased as they will get some good ratings for the France and Tunisia games, which are at favourable time slots.

5 Likes

The Brazil and Russia graphics were good. South Africa was terrible. I don’t mind the Qatar ones, simple and slick.

2 Likes

You would think that considering his history with the network’s World Cup coverage that Martin Tyler will once again fill that role.

1 Like

The line up for this year’s tournament is now complete after Costa Rica beat New Zealand 1-0 in the playoff in Qatar overnight, to take the last spot.

6 Likes

Basheer and Tyler will be their main two callers.

3 Likes

Great to see Martin Tyler commentating in Australia once again

2 Likes

If the Socceroos can get a draw against Denmark and a win over Tunisia, they may have a second round clash against Argentina. Would be great to see.

1 Like

Tyler really does feel like yesterday’s man. Peaked with his local commentary in the UK of the Agueroooooooooooooo moment.

3 Likes

Oh I absolutely believe he is well past his best. Should retire after the World Cup in my opinion.

2 Likes

FIFA has made several changes to the World Cup schedule, three months out from the tournament start in Qatar. The major change sees the Qatar-Ecuador clash replacing the Senegal-Netherlands encounter as the opening match of the tournament, and the match date has been brought forward by 24 hours to November 20 local time.

SBS’s broadcast of the tournament thus will begin at 2am AEDT on November 21.

4 Likes

As it should have been from the start!