FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 Coverage

Only six group stage games on Seven if I am reading that right? Pretty weak for a home World Cup. Would have liked to see all matches streamed on 7plus at least.

1 Like

Optus sports has the main rights. I doubt they would let 7 have all streaming rights etc. probably just gave the minimum rights available or 7 took the minimum rights

5 Likes

Unsurprising. 7 tend to love signing simulcast rights deals and enjoy being beholden to others with the sloppy dregs.

Seven’s got streaming rights for the matches they’ll be showing.

As for exclusivity, we all know what they’ll need to be able to get that in the future (cough SVOD platform cough).

1 Like

I would say it’s simply not worth it for Spain getting the rights to random women’s World Cup games - even in Australia the women’s game hasn’t reached the critical mass of support yet where fans will watch any random WC game like they do in the men’s event.

Seven have got a good balance in their package I reckon.

4 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

There’s a reason why Seven is making that distinction. On top of the 15 games that will air on FTA TV through Seven, Optus Sport will provide free access to 11 of their exclusive games (10 group games on days Seven isn’t airing a game + the 3rd Place Playoff):

5 Likes
2 Likes

no hablo español debe haber sido el autocorrector

6 Likes

This was in reply to the comment saying 7 should stream all the matches.

I’m surprised that Optus sport even mentions that “further 15 matches including Matilda’s & Final is on 7 [for free]’. Would of thought they would want people watching their channel & not 7

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

Huh? You know Seven is a subcontractor?

1 Like

This’ll sound a bit strange, but I wonder if Seven are getting a bit impatient for this to begin and sick of Nine’s sport bonanza / attraction / publicly / ratings in recent weeks, Seven seemingly issuing a lot of pressers this past week and on morning’s after heroics from the Ashes… They’re touting it as the ‘biggest event since Sydney 2000 here’ and will be hoping for good things.

Well it is

5 Likes

What about Rugby World Cup 2003?

1 Like

No way, football has a much bigger support base than rugby.

2 Likes

I’d argue Melbourne 2006 and Gold Coast 2018 were both pretty big, however yes a lot of countries obviously didn’t/can’t participate notably USA

4 Likes

In order roughly probably Olympics, Football, Cricket, Rugby, Commonwealth, Rugby League.

5 Likes

I’d argue that last year’s Women’s Basketball World Cup was bigger than the Rugby League World Cups globally, just from the interest in China alone, probably getting a bit off topic though.

1 Like

Didn’t remember that, but yes I’d say so.

Anyway…

1 Like

Conflating ‘events big on a world scale’ versus ‘events Australians care about’.

Hosting a FIFA World Cup is huge - although even 10 years ago a women’s tournament wouldn’t have made too much of a ripple locally beyond football fans but times have changed and the Matildas are a strong team so you’ve got both worlds covered there - strong global event with strong local interest.

9 Likes